This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire

Previous - Page 4 or Next - Page 6

CONTENTS

A Tribute to Our Pioneers -

Portage la Prairie - (a poem) - Indian Trails Out of Portage la Prairie - Geographic Background -

Chief Yellowquill -

Indians, Their Lives and Progress -

Proud Picheito and Problems Of His Times - The Indian Residential School -

Indian Burial Customs -

The Indian Glee Club -

Explorers and Fur Traders -

Sieur de la Verendrye -

The First White Settlement - The First Council -

The Settlers - (a poem) - The Red River Ox Cart -

The Republic of Portage la Prairie - W. J. Boddy's Journal -

Louis Riel

The Growth of a Settlement -

Mrs. John Connor's Contribution To History - Portage la Prairie in 1874 -

Transportation in Pioneer Days

Steamers on the Assiniboine -

An Incorporated Town -

The Steam Horse Replaces the Steam Boat and Ox Cart - Fires and Buffalo Bones -

Have You Heard of Buffalo Stones? - The Growth of a Town -

Portage la Prairie Street Railway Co. - The Fire Bug -

An Overall Picture of Portage la Prairie in 1892 - The Closing of the Assiniboine -

What Would Life Be Without Flowers - (a poem) - A Trip Up Lake Manitoba -

The Post Office

Etiquette in the 18905 - The Boer War

iii

1 1

2 & 3 4 5 6 8

13 18

- 20 22 26 28 30 31 31 33 37 41 41 43 45 46 49 55 55 58 58 59 61 64 68 71 71 73 76 78 79