|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 79 or Next - Page 81
local photographer. Mr. Armstrong was benefitting from all the building that was being done as he was a lumber merchant at that time.
Farquhar Mcl.ean, who owned the land that the Portage General Hospital was built on, as well as a portion of the Training School Building grounds, opened a real estate office.
Ed. J. Sparling, in the early 18805, was in the grocery business.
After being burnt out twice he went into a machine business. (Two sons, Harvey D. and Clarence C., are remembered in connection with the law firm "Sparling and Sparling" of later years.)
R. B. Hill opened up a blacksmithing business in 1881. He is credited with having been a skilled mechanic and wagon-maker also. (At a later date he proved to be a notable historian.)
Oliver Humber arrived in Portage in 1881, and was said to be one of the best carpenters to come to this part of the country.
J ames Bray settled on the Portage Plains, where he developed dairy farming and cheese and butter making; Edward Brooks, a carpenter and contractor by trade, built what was known as the Brooks Block on Saskatchewan Avenue; and Festus Chapin was as sociated with the implement firms of Westbrook and Fairchild and the Massey Co. (before its amalgamation with A. Harris, Son & Company).
H. J. Foote was associated in the firm Foote & Woodside. They were in a real estate business in a building on Main Street; A. H. McIntyre had a jewelry store (which was later taken over by his stepson, Walter Garland, and is now owned and operated by John Wilson); David Johnson built the first oatmeal mill west of the Great Lakes. (He ran the mill until it was destroyed by fire in 1890, then built another one which he sold to Han. Joseph Martin in 1892); William Henderson opened the J. & W. Henderson Hardware store on Main Street; and J. O. Cadham opened a hardware store also.
J. O. Cadham, and the Cadham Hardware have long been identi fied with Portage la Prairie. The first Cadham hardware store was located on Main St., the second one was on the site where the Portage Library now stands and the third and last one was built, with the help of a carpenter uncle from down east, on the north side of Saskatchewan Avenue in downtown Portage.