|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 82 or Next - Page 84
For the convenience of people arriving by train, hotels each had their horse-drawn bus. Shown here is the one owned by the Albion Hotel. The driver, sitting in the customary place on top, is Malcolm Shaw.
The three men standing on the corner have been identified as:
L. to R. - Mr. Norman Livingstone, Mr. John McLeod and Mr. Joe Taylor.
Mrs. C. J. Pyefinch (nee Alice McLeod) was born in this hotel.
She is shown here, in the arms of her mother, Mrs. J ohn Mcl.eod, at left centre on the balcony.
Floods and frost caused the boom bubble to bust and in 1883 many businessmen found it impossible to operate. Even the town was in trouble, and in 1886 the entire council resigned in an effort to avoid lawsuits.