This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 206 or Next - Page 208

Bill enjoys the frequent VISItS that Anne and Don make to Erickson. We hope that these happy moments may continue for many more years.

Editor's Note: Bill Prosak passed away December 31, 2000.


Rick and Amy Proven purchased SE 20-18-1 7W from Lome Kopeechuk in the spring of 1990.

Rick's Story:

I was born Richard Stanley Proven, in Calgary, AB, on August 19, 1954, to Isabella and Harold Proven. In 1960 my parents moved the family back to my father's community of Basswood. The family first lived at the old Evans place by the lake, now owned by Stan and Zelda Firby. It was a very wild place compared to the suburbs of Calgary and being beside the lake and the large forest, that still surrounds it, was not like living on the prairies. Our family spent their first three years beside the lake and the forest. It left a lasting impression on me, which has carried through to my present job with Riding Mountain National Park. Living in that environment allowed my parents to teach my brothers and me about hunting and trap­ ping and to observe wildlife as part of our environment, rather than something separate from us. It was clear to me that we were living beside ajewel on the prairies. A small prairie lake with the protective habitat of the forest provid­ ing a richness of wildlife that could not be found unless you came north towards the park.

In the fall of 1963 we moved onto the Proven home­ stead at 3-16-19. Once again the adventure began as my brothers and I all learned about fanning. We could still walk over to "the bush" by the lake to hunt rabbits and partridge, pick berries and go swimming in the lake.

During this time I went to school in Basswood, until Grade 9, and high school in Minnedosa. In 1971, while I was in Grade 11, I began dating Amy Worth. One year later, in November of 1972, we boarded a train together, bound for Edmonton, and began our lives together ....

Amy's story:

I was born Amy Jean Worth in Minnedosa. My parents were Donald Charles Worth and Helen Leona Worth (nee Spence). I grew up in Minnedosa with a brief stay in Brandon. I am the oldest of seven siblings. My childhood was a mixture ofswirruning at Minnedosa Beach, tobogganing, playing on or near the trains and tracks, play­ ing at the elevators, skating at the rink and playing in the Minnedosa River. My dad's family lived in the Basswood­ Newdale area and my mom's family lived in the

Cordova-Neepawa area. I spent lots of holidays with my relatives on the farms. I attended all of the schools in town, North School Grades 1-3, South School Grades 4-6, Crossley Collegiate Grades 7-8, Minnedosa Collegiate Grades 9-11.

My family knew John and Gladys Proven when they lived in Minnedosa. Our house didn't have water works, so we would get our drinking water from their house. There were many times when Aunt Gladys invited me, and my Dad, in for cookies and milk.

One time she phoned over to invite my younger brother and myself to toboggan with her nephews, Randy and "Ricky". We weren't able to go because we were both sick but we watched the boys tobogganing on our hill. I didn't meet Rick until September 1971 when we started to date. In November 1972, Rick and I boarded a train bound to Edmonton and began our life together.

Our story:

I thought that I could find work in the oil fields of Alberta or the orth. Our destination was Edmonton where Amy had an aunt. The trip was cold and long, we travelled for 19 hours in a coach class passenger car that had been built in 1927. When we arrived in Edmonton, we found that the first slump in oil prices had preceded our arrival and there were no high paying oil field jobs to be found. I found work pumping gas. We lived with Amy's aunt for the next two months. At Christmas my brother, Randy, and our cousin, Dave Drayson, came to see if they could also find work or convince Amy and I to return to Manitoba with them. After a week of unsuccessful apartment and job hunting, the quartet decided to tum Dave's 2 door Ford Galaxy 500 east and headed for home.

Randy and I found work at Agri-Steel in Minnedosa, which was being managed by our brother Garry. I worked there for only six weeks. I was getting paid $l.75 per hour and said I would have to get $10.00 to stand at a press drill all day watching a drill go up and down and punching buttons. I left with great sympathy for factory workers.

During this time, we lived at the farm north of Basswood. After I quit working in Minnedosa, we went to live with Amy's mother and stepfather in Forrest. After a brief stay in Forrest we found an apartment above the Dutch Mill Bakery on Rosser Avenue in Brandon.

On March 10, 1973 Amy and I were married at the Forrest United Church. I worked for a short time at the Chicken Delight but, once again, did not like indoor work and soon found a job at Patmore Nursery Sales.

By this time Amy was busy eating fudgsicles and sauerkraut awaiting the birth of our first child. On June 13,1973, at 2:30 pm, Donald Charles Proven was born. Donald was the first grandchild born on both sides of the family.