This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 242 or Next - Page 244

After the death of his wife, he travelled to South America with his daughter, Marlaine, and her husband, Julio, and to China (Hong Kong) with his neighbour. He made several trips to Chile where he enjoyed warm weather during the long winter months and made many new friends.

He enjoyed living in Erickson, saying it was the perfect place to be with all the clean fresh air, friendly people and all the amenities. He bought Mrs. Neilsen's home, 39 Center Street North, completely remodeled it into a beautiful, warm cozy home with a huge double garage. He had his workshop set up in the garage where he enjoyed building purple martin birdhouses. He was a skilled carpenter and built many fine pieces of furniture throughout his life. There isn't anything he couldn't or wouldn't tackle and was recognized for much of his work by the Canadian Government, family and friends. He also enjoyed touring around Erickson and surrounding districts - always on the lookout for someone who might have known his family.

In November 1994, John suffered a stroke that almost proved fatal. However, his will power to live was so strong that he survived which surprised the doctors. John is completely paralyzed on the left side and is unable to walk. He spent two years at the Erickson District Health Centre before returning to Winnipeg to live with Charlotte in her home where he receives care with the help of home care workers. His memory is still great about the past and he enjoys reminiscing and visiting ltalking with relatives and friends.

John's immediate family consists of his daughters, Charlotte Mullen, Marlaine Small- Vivanco and son, Louis. Charlotte's husband, John Mullen, passed away at the age of 51. They have four children: Ken, has two children and is a salesman for Westcan Supply Company. His children are Tim and Patti. Kathy is a payroll clerk for Allied Systems, a large trncking company. Kathy has a daughter, Alyssa, and they both live in the family home with Charlotte and grandpa/great-grandpa, John; Sheila is an RN at the Concordia Hospital, and is married to Colin Smith; and Sharon, is an Administrative Assistant for the Food Sciences and Soil Sciences Departments of the University of Manitoba. Sharon is married to Robert Bangsund and they live in her grandfather John's house, which she purchased when he moved to Erickson. So it is still in the family. The house held many happy memories!

Louis married Jean Kalyniuk in Winnipeg and after the birth of their first child, Jim, they moved to Be. There, a daughter, Michelle, and a son, Patrick, were born. Louis and Jean divorced and Jean now lives in Winnipeg. Louis is semi-retired from the Workers Compensation Board of British Columbia. He has since remarried. Jim is married to Charita and they live in Maple Ridge, BC. Michelle lives in Australia with four of her five children - Andrew, Serena, Kevin and Cory. Steven lives with his dad III

Ottawa. Patrick lived in Calgary and has his Masters Degree in City Planning and Urban Development. He has since moved to Florida where he has a job doing City Planning and Urban Development. He is not married.

Marlaine and her husband, Julio, have a daughter, Allison. Marlaine works for the University of Manitoba in the Dafoe Library. Julio is retired and Allison is in Grade 12. They get to spend the winters in the nice warm climate of Chile.

John met and made many friends in Erickson and there are no better people or better place than in Erickson! He is always searching for anyone who knew or might have known his parents and his sisters. I know that we will never stop looking and hopefully, there will be someone who reads this story about the Tkaczuk family who may have heard the name and will try and contact us.

As of October 1999, Charlotte suffered a heart attack and is unable to provide care for her father, John. John is currently residing in the Misericordia Health Centre, which is close to her home, and she is still able to see him often. He will be moving into the new Misericordia Place Personal Care Home in Febrnary 2000.

Almer was born on December 18, 1914, the youngest of Nicholas and Rose's children. After the deaths of their parents, the family became fragmented and Almer, at the age of nine, went to live at Mike Usick's for a few months and then briefly on to Almer Woloshyn's home. After that he joined his brother, Bill, at Joe and Ethel Campbell's home at Hilltop. The Camp bells were childless and they wanted someone to stay at their place; Almer did, for two and a half years, attending school and doing chores for them.

At the age of 13, Almer left the Campbells, finding work on farms wherever he could. The 'Great Depression' found him 'riding the rails' in search of employment and, like so many others during that time, enduring hardships. I am not sure what he did, probably some fishing and trav­ elling was done.

In 1939 Almer was offered the opportunity to move to British Columbia when Joe and Ethel Campbell decided to make their way west. They invited him to go along and help out by driving one of the moving trncks. Almer agreed and the three of them, accompanied by Joe's sister and her son, ventured off to the west coast. They settled in Maple Ridge (Haney). Almer and Joe built, and for a time oper­ ated, a service station. They had a side business repairing sewing machines as well.

Almer met a man named Piper, who had been a friend of Fossays from Starbuck, MB, who knew his brother, John. They tried their hand at fishing off the coast of Vancouver Island.

In 1943, Almer joined the Royal Canadian Air Force.

His assignment was to drive a trnck, hauling supplies, up and down the Alaska Highway. This afforded him the