This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 243 or Next - Page 245

opportunity to see and experience many new places. When he was released from the RCAF he made his way back to Manitoba where he worked for a time with his brother, Frank, in the park at Clear Lake, building cottages and log cabins. He also worked with his brother John on farms III Sandy Lake, Dakota Siding and Starbuck.

Adele and Almer Small (1997)

The 'call of the West' came once again and Almer journeyed back to BC and the Camp bells. He became a skilled carpenter, spending several years building many houses in the growing town of Maple Ridge. During that time, in 1952, he met Adele Taje (Rehaume), a widow, orig­ inally from Alberta, who was renting an apartment in the Campbell home. Before long, they fell in love and, in the spring of 1953, were married. They made a home together in Maple Ridge and had one child, a daughter, Judy.

Almer proceeded to enhance his carpentry skills, spending many years working as a cabinetmaker for a local business, Cambridge Craft and Co. With the passing away of the owner, and the subsequent sale of the busi­ ness, Almer's career shifted slightly when, and up until his retirement, he went to work for Albion Boat Works, finish­ ing the cabins on large fishing boats and yachts.

Throughout the years, Almer and his family made numerous trips back to Manitoba to visit relatives and his beloved place of birth, Erickson.

In 1976 Judy married Tony Burrell, who hailed from England, and the two moved to the Toronto area of Ontario. The following year, after retiring from Albion Boat Works, Almer and Adele also moved to Ontario to be close to the young couple who was expecting their first child.

Judy and Tony had three children; two daughters, Charity and Hilary and a son, Tristan. Almer was not only

a wonderful father, but also a loving and supportive Grandfather, especially so after Judy and Tony parted ways and eventually divorced in 1989.

Almer and Adele enjoyed their retirement, travelling throughout Canada (including British Columbia and Manitoba) and the United States - often bringing their daughter and grandchildren along.

In 1991 Judy married Rodney Windsor, who had grown up in the Toronto area. Later, they purchased a house in Holland Landing where they, along with the chil­ dren, lived with Almer and Adele.

Almer had often expressed his desire to spend his remaining years in Erickson but was not to realize his dream. In the spring of 1997, he was diagnosed to be termi­ nally ill with cancer. On June 19, 1999, at 84 years of age, he lost the battle and passed away; just three months after he and Adele celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary. Adele continues to live with the family.

Judy works in the President's area at Seneca College; her husband, Rodney, is a long distance trnck driver. Charity attends Oxford University in England, majoring in Political Sciences and aspires to become a lawyer. Hilary is attend­ ing Sheridan College where she is studying Architectural Technology; once she completes her diploma, she plans to go on to University to earn her degree as an architect. Tristan is currently in grade 10 and has not decided what direction he would like his future to take. He has inher­ ited his Grandfather's uncanny knack to work with his hands in any medium he touches.

So ends the saga of the Tkaczuk family with only two of the seven boys surviving. There are of course, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren who will carryon the name ofTkaczuk and Small. Their humble beginnings began in the beautiful Erickson area, which resembles the pleasing countryside of their ancestry, Poland and the Ukraine.


After retirement from Manitoba Hydro, Earl (Tommy) and Marj moved to Penticton, Be. They lived there until 1983, then moved to Kelowna in 1984. Earl passed away in November of 1997. Marj lives in their home near Westbank, Be.


In 1989 Cam purchased the SW 1120f 4-18-17 from Dale Sharp. This quarter had been owned by Dale's parents, Dorothy and Robert Sharp, before that time and earlier by King Hemmingson. Cam was born in 1946 in Brandon to Lillian and Thomas Stanley Town. Cam moved to the Scandinavia District from Brandon, MB where he retired from his employment with Canada Post.