This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 25 or Next - Page 27

Tumer as manager in 1971 and continued growth of the Erickson Credit Union provided the community at large with added financial opportunities, assistance and services.

Throughout the years, the Erickson Credit Union also supported and contributed to many community proj­ ects including the Erickson Curling and Skating Rinks.

In the early 1980's branch offices were operated in Wasagaming as well as Onanole. The general manager position was taken over by Rick Grant in 1988, who held this position until 1996. Brad Ross assumed the role of general manager in 1996.

In the 48 years of its existence the Erickson Credit Union has moved from a farm kitchen, with a staff of one, to a Main Street location with a staff of ten. Once again the Credit Union has outgrown its premises and a new building, at a new location next to the Post Office, is being planned for 2000 or 200l. From the ten charter members to 1,455 and from a fledging operation to a stable and recognized community institution, the Erickson Credit Union has maintained the original spirit of co-operation on which it has been founded.

Erickson Credit Union Board of Directors Presidents:

1952-1979 J. M. Lee
1979-1981 Arthur Haralson
1981-1987 Harold Stitt
1987 -1990 Elgin Hall
1990- Norval Lee


In 1976, after working for the Village of Erickson and Manitoba Water Supply Board for 9 years, Marland Furevick decided to start his own building constmction business. The business became known as Furevick's Redi Built Homes & Cabins. He hired Einer Lundman and his own two sons, Scott and Keith, worked for him after school and on holidays. They built some houses in Erickson and when the regulations changed in Riding Mountain National Park, that the cabins could stay in the campgrounds and did not have to be removed in the fall as had been previ­ ously done, he decided to build cabins. Marland then rented a piece of property from George Woloshen, along the high­ way, which was ideal for this and handy for the boys to come to work after school. When the boys finished school and moved on to bigger and better things, Marland hired Carl Syslak and Harold Hopkins, along with Carl's crew. They built and sold well over 100 cabins for the Clear Lake Campgrounds plus other seasonal campgrounds around the area. They did a lot of shingling and general contracting jobs. Most of his customers were strangers but over the years, many became very good family friends. When Carl retired in 1991, Marland hired Richard Woloshen who, along with Harold Hopkins, were with the company until Marland retired in 1997.


John and Paula will have owned and operated the Gold Nugget Service for 22 112years in the year 2000.

Over the years, many renovations and additions to the business have been completed. The Gold Nugget now operates as a gas station, garage, car wash, restaurant, bus depot and used car sales. Paula is still the working manager while John is the garage mechanic.


My husband, Keith Hodges, and I came here for many years to visit his family. In 1983, we visited Chris and Bev Wetteland who owned Erickson Laundromat. We liked the town, so we purchased the building in October of 1984. We moved to Erickson along with our two girls, Jamie, age 4 and Kristin, age 3. In 1988, along came Samantha.

Our business was just a laundromat and bus depot when we first started. Right away, we renovated and opened the other side to a flower shop. We had the laundromat and flower shop for three years. Then, in 1988, we closed the flower shop and opened a small arcade to occupy the chil­ dren while their moms did laundry. Soon mnning out of room, we opened up the living quarters at the back and added a twenty-seater cafe along with the laundry and arcade. Running out of room again, in 1996 we added a kitchen and knocked down walls to make a forty-five­ person restaurant, closed the laundromat, knocked down walls and made the arcade bigger.

Not even finished putting on all the trim on May 21, 1997, at 2:30 pm, when we smelled something strange in the building. Someone opened the front door and when we looked up flames were blazing across the ceiling. The fire departments did a great job getting the fire under control and prevented it from jumping to the other buildings on Main Street.

So, we decided to rebuild. Keith and I contacted people and went to work. By October 2, 1997 we were back in business, thanks to the great support of our community. We have a counter in the new place we call the commu­ nity counter. We enjoy living here.