|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 30 or Next - Page 32
clables and Manitoba Product Stewardship Funding. Governing Board is by appointment of the various entities involved and it is administrated by EricksonlClanwilliam Municipal staff. The depot is supervised by Erickson town employees and summer staff.
Official Opening 1997
South Mountain Recycling Centre
SOUTH SIDE OUTFITTERS Submitted by Rudy and Marion Usick
South Side Outfitters Rudy and Marion Usick
It is difficult to appreciate the development of South Side Outfitters unless one looks at the history of our farm over the last 50 years, 1950-2000.
The first 35 years we provided free hunting, guiding and many weeks of free board and room to our many relatives and friends from all parts of Manitoba, mainly hunting elk. Rudy started big game hunting (deer-elk) in 1949 and was farming full time in 1951.
In 1952, the first quarter (SW 33-18-17) near the park was purchased from the R.M. of Clanwilliam for $25.00, including transfer of title of$8.00. There were 32 quarters the R. M. had for sale to any purchaser that year for a flat price of $25.00 per quarter. Taxes on SW 33 were $55.00/year and the last time the R.M. had collected taxes on that quarter was in 1920. In 1953 the R.M. put the sale of tax lands up to $100, later to $150 per quarter and the last were sold at $300 each. Eight quarters were purchased from the R.M. and seven were purchased privately between 1952-1960. At the time, and some even tually later, came eight quarters of crown land leased for cattle pasture.
This block of land adjacent to the park for six miles formed the basis of 11 separately fenced cattle pastures ranging from one quarter to four quarters each. Section 31 was reserved for hay/grain farming and only 300 acres was developed in total on all the lands including sown pastures. These lands also carry abundant wildlife like black bears, whitetail deer, elk, moose and even timber wolves.
We hunted elk from 1949 on and they were in record numbers, till the disastrous winter of 1959-60 when 42 inches of snow fell on October 6-8, 1959 and lasted till May I, 1960. By spring, the most optimistic estimate otRMNP elk was 1500 whereas the pessimistic estimate was that only 500 survived. Seasons were closed for 9 years until 1968 when elk numbers reached 2500 again. The surprise increase in moose occurred from minimal numbers before 1959 to reach 2268 in 1969, resulting in the first moose season, which opened in 1970 around the park (RMNP). Subsequent seasons included both elk and moose. Bag limit this year, 2000, is for one elk or one moose (bull, cow or calf) in archery, landowner and all three rifle seasons.
Black bear were not hunted on our farm till 1979 when a late spring resulted in bears killing 5 cows and 15 calves.
In 1980, on NW 33-18-17, a hunter from Winnipeg shot an eight foot brown bear (male boar) on April 25, 1980, weighing over 600 lbs. This was probably the killer bear on cattle the year before. Between 1980-1999, some 223 bear have been harvested by hunters on our north farm and we have more bear than ever.
Whitetail deer were almost non-existent near the park prior to 1970 but were abundant 25-30 miles south on lower elevations with less snow. The 'jumpers', as they are