|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 51 or Next - Page 53
saries, funerals and auction sales and have participated III the Fun Fair sponsored by the Erickson Hospital Auxiliary.
On May 17, 1990 we held our 40th Anniversary of the organization. Five ladies were honored, namely: Sophie Oshust, Christine Johnson, Anne Berkowski, Winnifred Marcino and Katherine Bijak.
The St. Jude's Parish also participates
|meals-on-wheels||and World Day of Prayer|
in delivering and Prayer for
The executive for our group were as follows:
|1988- 1989||Frances Yanchycki|
SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH
Erickson Seventh-Day Adventist Church
formerly known as the Sandy Lake Seventh-Day Adventist Church, came into existence shortly after the First World War, possibly about 1919.
Jack Zachary of Sandy Lake became interested III the doctrines of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church and became its first member. He was evangelistically minded and within eight years he converted his whole family to Adventism, among who was his cousin, William Klyrn, of Erickson's Bethel district.
During the early 1920's ings was held at Sandy Lake to the Sandy Lake group. The when a flour milling couple, purchased the local flourmill. already an Adventist. During joined this Sandy Lake group.
As stated previously, one of Jack Zachary's relatives that converted to Adventism was William Klym of the Bethel area. In the latter part of the 1920's Jack's two brothers purchased a farm near the Bethel Post Office. His two broth ers and his parents moved here. Jack Zachary's evangelistic
|efforts brought some of William Klym's neighbours||to|
a series of evangelistic meet and this resulted in additions membership increased further
the Farions, of Sifton, MB The wife, Mrs. Farion, was the 1930's more converts
convert to Adventism. The Klyms, Zacharys and the neigh bour converts formed a sizable group in the Bethel district.
|Poor roads and horse transportation||forced the two|
groups to worship separately except during summer when the Sandy Lake group would worship with the Bethel group and the Bethel congregation would reciprocate and come to Sandy Lake. Mass migrations out of the Bethel district for better living opportnnities elsewhere in this country during the 40's and into the early 50's, along with deaths of the elderly, reduced this group to two. By the end of the 50's roads and transportation had improved and the Bethel members merged with the Sandy Lake group.
Originally, the Erickson SDA Church was a part of the Manitoba and, later, the Manitoba - Saskatchewan Conference of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. It was classed as a company - that is, it had no formal organiza tion (deacons, elders, young people's leaders, etc.).
|However, during the mid-fifties,||it was organized as a|
church and incorporated as the Sandy Lake Seventh-Day Adventist Church. It operated under this name until the summer of 1995 when the name was officially changed to the Erickson Seventh-Day Adventist Church. This was done to avoid possible confusion that might result over a Sandy Lake name and an Erickson location.
Until 1974 the membership gathered for worship III homes. In the fall of 1974 the Onanole United Church was rented for worship purposes and continued to be the place of worship until September 3, 1995, a total of twenty and one half years.
During the summer of 1994 it became evident that the Onanole United Church would soon close its doors. In the fall of 1994 serious discussions began about construct ing a place of worship. These discussions continued during the winter of 1995 and by spring of that year agreement was reached to build a church at Erickson. The Erickson Auto Wrecking business property was purchased from Herman Ludwig and contracts were awarded to various contractors and tradesmen to construct the church.
On July 20, 1995 the principal contractor, Goodon Industries of Boissevain, MB, began construction and on October 7 of that year the first service was held.
The Erickson Seventh-Day Adventist Church of over 11 million Adventists worldwide; the world quarters are in the U.S.A.
This church is part of the consisting of the Winnipegosis, churches. Its minister resides church once every three weeks. conduct the service themselves.
is part head-
Dauphin district, a district Dauphin and Erickson III Dauphin and visits the In his absence the members
|Members attending come from the communities||of|
|McCreary,||Birtle, Rapid City, Bradwardine,||Erickson,|
Rackham, Elphinstone, Sandy Lake and, for six months of the year, from Sun City, Arizona. At present, the congre gation consists of about 25 members.