This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 64 or Next - Page 66

the Scandia Hall for the sum 0[$5,000.00. About this time Comrade Tinkler did not attend bingo and the bars were looked after by anyone that was there. The payout for the Bingo games was raised to ten and fifteen dollars. A number of the players had purchased bingo dabbers and magnetic chips which made the clearing of the cards much faster. In 1972, it was discovered that the canteen was losing money, so the members asked the Auxiliary to take it over. They accepted it and Sylvia Holmberg and Harriet Hodges were given the responsibility. About 1974, Isla Cutter joined them.

In February 1976, Comrade McPhee moved to Brandon. Comrade Ted Hodges was put in as Bingo Chairman. What up to now had been a one man operation, was all changed. Three teams were formed, each taking their turn. Two members from the original teams are still working, namely Walter Wilmot and Carl Syslak. Carl Syslak kept the books until 1982. Harriet Hodges was the silent manager.

In 1978, they decided to buy a new Bingo machine.

Comrades Ted Hodges and Stewart and Jocelyne Steele and Harriet Hodges motored to Winnipeg and, from Play-All, purchased a second hand electronic machine for the sum 0[$1,250.00. While there, a salesman gave them a free box of Nevada Cards and asked them to try selling them. They became very popular, as well as being another source of income, and have been sold ever since. In 1978, we also began having to pay for a bingo licence. Every time the hall was rented on a Saturday night, the Bingo was switched to Thursday night and the hall was not to be rented for anything on Thursday night. The Turkey Bingo was changed from Saturday afteruoon to the Thursday night Bingo. The members again began discussing a new hall. Since there was very little money, each Legion member (family) was asked to donate a hundred dollars toward the building, which a lot of them did.

In 1980, a new hall was built at the original cost, before the floor was laid, of $90,000.00. Since the contrac­ tor did not complete his contract, the members spent many days working to complete the building. The Erickson Credit Union financed the project.

In 1982, the Manitoba Goverument introduced the use of Bingo Paper and the keeping of better records for Bingo revenue. Harriet Hodges took over the bookkeeping. A people count also had to be done at each Bingo. Erickson Bingo did not use paper until 1988. With the introduction of the paper, the price of playing Bingo increased consid­ erably and the payout went up to thirty dollars a game. The lowest attendance recorded was 61 in September 1990. The highest attendance recorded was 275 in December 1997.


Cde. D. Steele, Cde. R. H Kingdon, Cde. J Steele, Cde.

S. Steele, Donna Wruth, Harold Gilleshammer, MLA, Cde. G. Shellborn, Cde. J Stacy and Cde. M. Eden

In April 1989 the Erickson Legion Branch #143 held a meeting to discuss the possibility ofthe Branch, as a 50th Anniversary project, being the sponsoring group in rais­ ing money to purchase a Handivan to the area. A motion was passed to support this project. Cde. Glen Shellboru, Cde. R. H. Kingdon and Cde. Jocelyn Steele were appointed as representatives from the Branch. In general, the community was very supportive of this idea. A Handivan was purchased through Parkwood Auto. The first Handivan trip (driver, R. H. Kingdon) was on February 9, 1990. Operating with volunteer drivers, the Handivan has been a very worthwhile service to our community.


In 1947, K. Peterson of Erickson donated two lots to the Erickson Legion Branch #143, namely lots 39 and 40, plan 651, to build a Legion Hut and Cenotaph. The Cenotaph was built on lot #40. The Cenotaph was built by Ted Neilson, Wyman Miler, Enoch Ehlin and John Marcino. For many years the Memorial Service was held in August or September at the site of the Cenotaph. In 1964 the Legion purchased the Scandia Hall, on lot 30, 1st Street, and the former location was sold to Parkwood Auto. When they undertook to move the Cenotaph, it had disintegrated and could not be moved. They removed the plaque and stored it in the Legion Hall. In 1979 a new Cenotaph was built on lot 30, financed by the Erickson Legion Branch #143, at a cost 0[$1,600. Clarence Carter put in the base and the stone was built by Styles Masonry of Brandon, MB. There are 22 names of World War II veterans who paid the Supreme Sacrifice: