|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 116 or Next - Page 118
ground floor able to seat another five hundred and standing room was available for one thousand more. The pictures were all hand painted and embroidering and crochet altar hangings made by volunteer ladies of the parish and area.
It was recognized as one of the most impressive and beautiful Cathedrals in Canada; being the largest wooden structure of its kind in the nation.
Caretaking was done by the ladies of the parish. Funds for the upkeep was made possible by the people of the parish and the generous people visiting from every part of the world.
St Mary's Ukrainian Catholic church served the Mountain Road area predominately settled by people of Ukrainian origin and many coming from the nearby Municipality of Clan william.
With services held only once or twice a month in the 1920's and early 30's, travel was mostly by horses drawing wagons, buggies etc., making their trek on road trails to worship; others walking five to ten miles or more. Many will remember the jingle of horse bells coming from different directions at this time.
An annual event was the feast of S1. Peter and Paul on July 12, with church services, followed by a picnic, ball games and dance. Hundreds of people came from far and near as this was an event no one liked to miss.
The present St. Mary's Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Mountain Road.
Prior to the disastrous fire on August 19, 1966 the doors of the church were always open to accommodate visitors who flocked to this unique landmark located some ten miles east of Erickson. Father Fyk was resident priest at the time of the fire.
A smaller new church has been constructed on the same site but in modern design.
ST. MARY'S UKRAINIAN GREEK CATHOLIC CHURCH KERR'S LAKE
On the corner of the N.E. 3S-17-17W, with a fence around it, a cross was built by Mike Slobodian. The
Ukrainian Catholic people of the Kerr's Lake area would hold prayer services and then visit with their neighbours.
The closest Ukrainian Catholic church was at Mountain Road. When people pass this cross today, they know a church is close by.
St. Mary's Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Kerrs Lake.
St. Mary's Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Kerr's Lake. Back Row, Left to Right: Pearl Yakiwchuk, Fred Kostiw, Mike Kostiw, Jack Kopeechuk, Kay Kopeechuk, George Slobodian, Nufrey Baraniuk, Mrs. Lena Safroniuk, Wasyl Zwarich, Mary Kostiw, Mrs. Fred Kostiw, Barbara Zwarich, Rosie Slobodian, Olga Slobodian, David Safroniuk, Father Ference. Front Row: Fred Yakiwchuk, Lillian Yakiwchuk, Wally Kostiw, Unknown, Mary Kopeechuk, Allen Kopeechuk, Ron Slobodian, Wally Kostiw, Patsy Slobodian, Lillian Slobodian, Lome Kopeechuk, Danny Yakiwchuk and Carl Woywada.
In the late 1920's, it was decided that the Ukrainian people would build their own church in the Kerr's Lake area. Joseph Baraniuk donated one acre on the S.E. 2-18- 17W and Protz Ewasiuk donated one acre of land on the S.W. 36-17-17W for a cemetery.
A log permit was obtained to cut logs for the lumber in Riding Mountain National Park. The logs were cut into lumber at Hemmingson's sawmill. Construction on the church and bell tower was started in 1928 by the