|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 123 or Next - Page 125
someone to build it. It was settled there and then that the school district be called Holland after Robert Madill's homes hip in Ontario which was Holland Centre No. 216 and be placed at the Centre stake north side of section 22, homestead to be later owned by Hugh Steele, then Charles Bertram. The following meeting the secretary treasurer's salary was set at $15 for the first year.
Debentures were sold to raise the sum of $350, part of this to build the new schoolhouse. On March 26, the trustees accepted Wm. Brucis' tender to build a log schoolhouse for $260.00. By June 16, the same year, the new schoolhouse had been completed and Thomas Logan's application was accepted to be the first schoolteacher. The first families to attend in the district were the Carters, Madill, McKinney, Hopkins, Lyons and Steele. The first school remained open six or seven months of the year according to the weather. The new school, its contents and property were valued at $350. In 1885, A.J. Baker taught school for $35 a month.
After the first year the secretary-treasurer's salary was set at $7 a year and ten cords of two foot wood was delivered to the school for $6.50. Don't think the people at that time lacked education because that is not so. The secretary-treasurer changed hands something like twelve times between 1884 and 1903.
Mr. Tom Logan Mr. Baker
Miss Hilton (Mr. George Bracken)
Miss Violet Browne
Miss Drummond - a missionary all her life
First teacher 1885 1886 1898 1899 1900
LAKELET SCHOOL NO. 229 AND COMMUNITY
by Richard Crawley
Its early history was one of movement. The most remarkable thing about it was that it existed in four different places. Lakelet was organized, and given its name in 1885, and began operating in a log building on N.W. 13-16-18, not far from the home of Keith Syslak. Some time later it was relocated on S.W. 25-16-18W, at the south-end of Richard Boyd's farm. Times change, and that particular spot has become so isolated now, and the road to it so neglected, that for all intents and pur poses it is virtually inaccessible for much of the year. Early in the century, it was something of a community centre, for not only was the school located there, but also the "Temperance Hall" and the McKays, the McQuarries and the Greenlaws all lived within a half mile.
Shifts in the population made it necessary to change the location again, and a new building was put up in the northeast corner of 24-16-18W, on the Town Line, Provincial Road No. 262.
Some resentment must have accompanied the move, for in the next few years the school was repeatedly vandalized. Time and again the windows were broken, and desks and benches marked, though no clear reason
Lakelet School No. 229 and Community.
ever emerged. Despite offers of rewards, no one was ever charged with the mischief, and it eventually ceased.
The growing village of Clanwilliam was crowding the two schools, Lakelet on the north and Clanwilliam on the south, so in 1913 Grey School was built in the village and Lakelet was again re-Iocated. This time the existing building was moved a mile north, to its final location. This is where most of us remember Lakelet, and many of us also remember the fire which destroyed the old building in 1927. From February till June we attended school in Bob Brandon's house, and by September the new building was ready for occupancy. The architecture of that building seems strange today. Totally without insulation, and with only one thin ply of lumber over the ends of the floor joists, it was a cold and drafty building. Its six large windows were located on the north side. Outraged trustees and taxpayers wrote letters and placed long distance phone calls to the Department of Education in Winnipeg, but to no avail. Nothing the local people could say would change the decisions of the bureaucrats, and the windows stayed on the north. There were times during the winters of the 1930's when the inkwells remained frozen until late in the afternoon!
World War I brought tragedy to Lakelet. Harry and Ernie Proven both died in France. The family had already been stricken by diphtheria in the early 1890's and now out of an original nine children, only one remained.
Every school was required to provide a stable for school ponies but the one at Lakelet was seldom used. Even the smallest beginners walked, some of them long distances. Allan Hopkins, Kindrats, Pearsons, Fredericksons, Frazers, Joslands, Welmans, all walked two and a half miles or more, and seldom did anyone get a ride, except by accident.
Lakelet was crowded during the 1930's with thirty or more pupils, and older ones studying by correspondence. Some of the teachers had had incredible work loads, for very little pay. The low point in salaries was about 1938, with a contract for $375. per year. The teacher was clearing about 1O¢ an hour after paying her board.
Big enrolments made for good ball teams, and for a number of years, Lakelet had one of the best. Teams they played against were, Crocus, Empire, Hilltop and in the days before easy transportation, everybody enjoyed the