|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 122 or Next - Page 124
CLAN WILLIAM SCHOOL NO. 178
by Lena West
The Clanwilliam S.D. No. 178 is now past history but was a landmark on the N. W. corner of 31-15-17 for well over 84 years. The school received its name from a new event of that time; The 4th Earl of Clanwilliam, Richard James Mead, Commander-in-Chief of the North American and West Indian Stations was visiting Quebec at the time and a departmental official suggested the school be called Clanwilliam. The name was subsequently applied to the Post Office and village established in 1886.
It was the fifth school to be built in the province and was first known as the Protestant S.D. No.5. It was on April 8, 1884, that George Soulsby as chairman purchased land 20 rods x 8 rods from Joseph Lowery on which to build the school. This first school was burned but another log school was soon built. All the school records were destroyed in the fire except the following two paragraphs;
In December of 1884 this school was changed from No. 5 to Clanwilliam S.D. No. 178. In 1887, the following students were listed; Susie, Mary and John Moad, John and Sarah Pollon, Elwood and Lyman Spear, Bert Sanderson, Stephen and Millie Johnston, George Pollon, Minnie Moad and Roy Sanderson.
Clan william School No. 178.
In 1901, the Trustees were; Robert Sanderson, Simon Pollon, George Soulsby.
In 1904 another school was built and in 1911 the pupils joined with those of Minnedosa for their first field day.
In December of 1967 this school consolidated with the Minnedosa Schools to be known as the Rolling River S.D. No. 39.
The building was sold and moved to Onanole.
Teachers were: 1885 - Lucinda Wanid, 1886 - Elizabeth Nesbitt, 1887 - Elizabeth Montgomery, 1888 - Thomas Logan, 1894 - Nellie Wake, 1905 - Miss McGill, 1906 D.A. Fletcher, 1906-08 Miss Gray, 1908 - Miss M. Irvine, 1909 - Miss Hipwell, 1913-16 Miss Rhodes, 1916 - Miss Kate Sanderson, 1917-18 Edna Eldred, 1919 - Mr. Bees, 1920 - Clara Sanderson, 1921 - Viola McPherson, 1921- 22 Violet Hogaboom, 1922-23 Lucy Wilson, 1923-24 Miss M. Waitt, 1924-25 Beulah Campbell, 1926-29 Miss A. Lee, 1929-30 Miss H.C. Alke, 1930-31 M. Bowman, 1931-35 Miss A. Lee, 1935-37 M. McLelan, 1937-38 Greta McGorman, 1938-41 Christena McLean, 1941-42 Hilliard Treleaven, 1942-43 Alice Robertshaw, 1943-44 Ellen Emmond, 1944 - Margaret Brodie, 1944-48 Pupils attended Grey School, 1948 - Miss L. Thompson, 1949-50 Donelda Keating, 1950-51 Ray Kitchen, 1951-53 Margaret Lindsay, 1953-54 Anne Prosak, 1954-57 Mrs. D. Dagg, 1957-64 Mrs. Alice Moad, 1964-65 Bruce Smirl, 1965-66 Faye Fiskel and 1966-67 Mrs. Bertha Wood.
Early pioneers associated with the school were: John A. Moad, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Soulsby, Mr. Gibson, Mr. McFarlane, A. Woodcock, Mr. Spear, Mr. Sykes, A. Pollon, Mr. Frazer, Mr. Moquire and Mr. Steele.
HOLLAND SCHOOL NO. 216
On January the 9th, 1884, a meeting of the householders and free-holders of which was afterwards called Holland School District was called by the Municipal Council of the Municipality of Minnedosa. The meeting was held at the home of Robert Madill. The purpose of the meeting was to elect the first trustees of the school district, they were Thomas Bailey, John J. Lyons and Robert Madill with Robert Carter as secretary-treasurer. The first business of the trustees was to pick a name for the school, a place to put it on and
Holland School No. 216.