|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 129 or Next - Page 131
Tales School- 1923. Teacher Isabelle Lee. In Zig-Zag Order: Mary Stone, Barbara Baird, Algot Hall, Edith Strand, Adina Krantz, Jim Baird, Minnie Hjelmeland, John Stone, Gilbert Gusdal, Ole Hjelmeland, Elsie Hall, Ellen Krantz, Martha Hjelmeland, Ejner Miller, Jessie Stone, Martha Gusdal, Ernest Carlson, Ethel Anderson, Walter Stone, Lena Hjelmeland, Willie Anderson, Sam Baird.
sum of $1975.00. He also purchased the old school for $25.00. A new site was chosen at the west end of the grounds. Larger, with more windows, and heated by a large wood-burning stove, it must have been an in dication of great progress in the district. There was one classroom, a library and a cloakroom. The front entry was finished with a small roofed porch. There were four rows of desks, three of them double-seated. These have always excited the curiosity of visitors who have never seen any but the single desks. As early as 1904 an ex cellent library of books was begun and additions were made regularly through the years. First an organ, and later a piano, were part of the furnishings. A pot-bellied stove with a cooking surface was a welcome addition for boiling a kettle of water for making tea or cocoa during the winter months.
Teachers' salaries varied from $37.50 to $45.00 to $60.00 per month, sometimes $2.25 or $2.50 per day, from $350.00 per year, until by 1920, $1200.00 per year. Salaries dropped through the 20's to a low of $750.00 and up again to $1000.00 by 1931. As the depression deepened cuts were made to a low of $650.00 and it wasn't until after World War Two that salaries were again over $1000.00 for a qualified teacher. The many permit teachers of this period naturally received less. In
the 50's they finally reached $2000.00 and up, the final wage paid in 1962-63 being $2900.00.
In 1923, there was a movement towards a better plan for the district. Originally it was a square block of sixteen sections in T. 18, R. 18 numbers seven to ten on the southern border, twenty-seven to thirty on the north, plus four sections of T. 18, R. 19, numbers twelve, thirteen, twenty-four and twenty-five. The size of the district was cumbersome at the best of times as the children from the extreme boundaries were three to four and more miles from the school. Much of the time they walked. Others lived north of Ditch Lake. The meandering Rolling River and its meadows eliminated a road through that area. Scandinavia had similar problems. The suggestion was that a new district be formed in the centre and another to the north and west. In November the Rev. S.O. Vangstad was appointed to represent the municipality on the question of the alteration of boundaries of the Tales Union School District. On January 24, 1924, Mr. A.A. Herriott, school inspector, met with Mr. Vangstad, S. Christianson representing the R.M. of Harrison, and H. Carlson of the Tales School Board. On February 7, the board of arbitration was reported as having refused to grant the petition asking for a split in the district, but recommended that a new district be formed taking four