|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 138 or Next - Page 140
Reverend Odelberg then asked everyone to stand, in honor of the pioneers, who turned the first furrows in this part of the country.
The blessing was then asked by Reverend Odelburg.
Supper was then served.
After supper a few of the older girls and boys joined in a game of baseball, while the smaller ones gathered around the bonfire and watched a few boys roast potatoes.
About 9:30 P.M. we started for home after a pleasant day spent in the celebration of "Canada's Diamond Jubilee".
Margaret Elsie Yellow lees Teacher at Norland School
LUND SCHOOL NO. 1190
lfy Phyllis Skoglund
The Clanwilliam Municipality has always been in terested in the education of its youth and this trend goes back to its early beginnings. As the Scandinavia set tlement grew and became more thickly populated, the need for another school became apparent. Determination and work on the part of the people living in the area had definite results. On May 27, 1902, by the By-Law No. 197 of the Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam the School District of Lund No. 1190 was formed. The name "Lund" in Swedish means a bluff of trees and this seemed to be an appropriate name for the school. The School District was long and narrow and this meant that some students had a considerable distance to walk.
The need to have students attend school was so great that even while the school was being built, students at tended school in a house owned by Tom Gray. This house was on 14-17-17W. The first teacher was Miss K.M. McDougall of Clanwilliam. The first students to attend school in this house were Ester Koping, Freda, John and Mary Booth, Ida Johnson and Emma Esterburg. The first trustees were John Sundmark, J .A. Skoglund, John Esterburg with R. Koping as Secretary-Treasurer.
The new school was built on an acre of land donated by Eric Koping on N. W. 14-17 -17W. This was a log school and served the people for nearly thirty years. Prices at that time were slightly different from the present - the school bell bought in 1907 cost 75<1:, chalk less than a dollar and total expenses in 1907 were $402.45.
Some records have been lost but the district grew quickly. In 1905 the enrolment of the school was thirteen and in 1907 it had increased to twenty. Familiar surnames of students attending school in 1907-1908 included Koping, Booth, Hemmingson, Skoglund, Larson, Benson as well as Powell and Boglo.
One particularly resourceful teacher familiar to many was J .M. Carmichael. Mr. Carmichael kept a diary with his register and from these we learn what the weather was like, on what days picnics were held and what tour naments were won. Mr. Carmichael later returned to Erickson where he was Municipal Clerk.
By the late 1920's it became apparent that a more modern school was needed. This school was built on S.E.
Lund School No. 1190.
22-17-17W on a three-acre plot of land. One of the near tragedies that occured during the building of this school was that Ole Benson, one of the construction workers, was badly hurt when a block of cement fell on him. Fortunately he recovered from the accident. The new school was opened in 1930 when the school enrolment was almost fifty. It must have been extremely difficult for the teachers in the late 1920's and early 30's when the enrolment was so high. The new school was an attractive wooden building with windows facing the east and a porch to the south. In keeping with the name "Lund" a belt of evergreens was planted to the west, probably as a shelter belt as well as to uphold the meaning of the name.
The old school was bought by H. Campbell in 1930 and moved to S.W. 15-17-17W. It was used as a house by Colin Campbell and later as a barn and shed by W. Chemerika.
There were many episodes of extreme interest that took place in Lund and students who attended the school have all had a strong and loyal support for their school. The summers were spent in outdoor activities with end of the year competitiions with neighboring Hilltop. Keen rivalry often took place between the two schools and to those prejudiced, Lund usually came up on top -------!
Winter entertainment often took students to "Swit zerland" (N.E. 15 ravine) where toboganning and skiing could be enjoyed. Some students must have had a keen sense of time as very rarely were they very late for opening exercises in the afternoon. Lund was certainly fortunate in being so close to "Switzerland". During the school hours other unique games took place. One par ticularly entertaining event was to see who could, without detection, cause white "Spit-balls" to appear on the ceiling. Suddenly the whole room would shake with supressed - for the most part - laughter and on looking up at the ceiling a new ball had appeared! Whether the teachers were oblivious, whether they ignored the event or whether the students were extremely clever remains a secret -- but it sure was fun!
Most of the students who attended Lund were of Swedish or Ukrainian background and while attempts