|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 210 or Next - Page 212
continued to grow and the new sports grounds are now located on the Centennial grounds.
Baseball never seems to lose its attraction to the crowds. At this point in time Erickson has several active baseball clubs, ranging in age from the very young to the older couples who play Slow Pitch.
Over the years many people, have been responsible for the up-keep and coaching of these clubs.
Erickson Boys' Ball Club. Back Row, Left to Right: Robert Parrott, Chris Wetteland, Dwight Ullberg, Terry Gustafson, Jerry Zachedniak, Ron Stitt. Front Row: Carl Ewashko, Joey Frankiw, Allan Penonzek (Middle) Darcy Parrott, Tim Ward and Dwain Shewchuk. Coach David Steward missing.
1969, Erickson Boys' Ball Club. Back Row, Left to Right: Lance Shellborn, Wade Oshust, Cameron McInnes, John McLise, Coach Les McInnes. Front Row: Vaughan Ullberg, Scott Furevick, Dwain Skog and Peter Oshust.
BOYS' BOXING CLUB
by Lily Wilmot
A boys' boxing club was formed in 1926. They were given boxing equipment from John and Arvid Forsgren. The boys gathered to have their meetings at the farm with Conrad and Elmer Halvarson and practiced boxing, self defence, and character training. The Boxing Club rules were compiled by Erling Lindgren and were as follows:
7, All Club members are required to attend Church,
lO. Boxing Masters are also required to follow these rules.
Boys' Boxing Club. Left to Right: Hugo Neupert and Alf Sundmark.
by Ed and Eileen McInnes
The first organizational meeting was held January 27, 1938 to discuss the possibilities of starting a curling club and building a curling rink. The first executive members were: President - Dawson McKay, Vice-president Gotfrid Johnson, Treasurer - Marinus Neilson, Secretary - Linus Miller, as well as Fred Ostrom, Paul Paulsen, Theo Lee, C.A. Hill, Thomas Mcinnes, L.B. Gusdal, Vic Sanderson and August Larson.
They decided to sell shares at $lO.OO each to raise money to erect the two sheet building whereupon they canvassed the town and district and realized $575.00. It was decided to use the plans drawn up by Ted Neilson and donations of lumber and logs were made. Wickdahls' sawed and planed the lumber at their mill and hauled it