This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 278 or Next - Page 280

Kenneth owns his company, Ken Beatty's Excavator.

Ethylin's love for music kept her taking music lessons on piano, organ, accordian, and guitar. She supplied music for church services for many years. She has given many years to doing home care and cares for han­ dicapped people. She has worked as cook in different restaurants.


by Marlenne Beatty

Venton Beatty was born in Winnipeg in 1942, eldest of three sons born to Ethylin (Gronback) and James Beatty. At the age of one and a half, he moved with his family to a farm north of Ditch Lake. In 1950 the family moved to the farm that borders Ditch Lake to the west, the Paul Gronback farm. Venton, and his brothers Donald and Kenneth, attended Tales School, some two and a half miles away, skiing across the fields in winter and riding bicycle when weather permitted. Venton attended Erickson School for grades 10-12, graduated with a B.Sc. from the University of Manitoba in 1963 and took a year towards his B.Ed., later receiving his B.Ed. in 1970. He chose teaching as a career and taught three years in the

Shaun, Marlenne, Venton, Garett, Lynell, Kristopher Beatty.

Manitou Collegiate, one year in Benito, and twelve years in McCreary before moving to Erickson in 1980 to farm. He had owned land in this area for twelve years and had grain farmed, commuting from McCreary. He built a new home and barn on 28-18-18, northeast of Ditch Lake, and started a hog operation. He farmed two years before returning to teaching at the Erickson Collegiate.

He married the former Marlenne Neilson in 1965.

Marlenne was born in Hartney, Manitoba in 1942, eldest child of Arthur and Martha (Gusdal) Neilson. As a baby she moved with her parents to Winnipeg. In 1946 the family moved to Erickson where Mr. Neilson opened up a meat shop and later the Locker Plant. Marlenne spent her childhood years in Erickson, attending Erickson School along with her sister Patricia and brothers Grant and Brock. Marlenne graduated from St. Boniface School of Nursing in 1963, and worked for two years at the Neepawa hospital prior to marriage, as well as in hospitals in Manitou, Notre Dame de Lourdes, Benito, and McCreary, over the years.

Vent on and Marlenne are parents to four children, Shaun born in 1968, Garett in 1969, Lynell, the only daughter, in 1972 and Kristopher in 1978.


Bob and Annette Beatty took ownership of Gateway Esso on May 18, 1979. They purchased the service station from Paul and Kay Kotyk.

Bob with adopted son, Robbie arrived in Erickson on May 18, 1979. Bob is the son of George and Margaret Beatty of Clear Lake, Manitoba. Annette arrived in Erickson two weeks later with infant son, Richard. Richard was born in OriIlia, on May 16, 1979. They are all originally from Orillia, Ontario. Renovations were made and the name Gateway Esso was changed to Beatty's Esso Service. They were open for business on June 15, 1979.

Rhonda Jannette Beatty was born at the Minnedosa Hospital on December 23, 1981. They hope to meet many of the people in this book someday. They certainly enjoy living in this community.


William 'Scott, was born in Scotland in 1885, and served in World War I. He lived and farmed on the Donald Grant farm in the Clear Lake area.

On December 30, 1944, Scotty married Katherine Mills, a widow, born in 1886.

In 1945, they moved to Erickson where Scotty was employed as a bookkeeper for the Erickson Transfer. Then in his later years, he worked in Shilo as a Com­ missionaire until retiring in Erickson. Scotty was a member of the Legion and Katie was a member of the Legion Auxilliary.

Scotty passed away November 30, 1965, and Katie passed away on October 28, 1975.