This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 283 or Next - Page 285

the Berg's who bought a small farm near Fina's sister Ellen's home at Lake Mary. He died at their home at the age of eighty-four years. Fina died in 1946, at the age of seventy-one years and Enok died in 1957, at the age of eighty-eight. They are all buried in the Nylunda Cemetery at Lake Mary, Minnesota. The farm on section 2 has been home to different owners in the ensuing years and is currently owned by Ken Wickdahl. The buildings have all been torn down.

Fina's sister, Ellen, and her year old son, Howard, visited her father and the Berg's one of those years when they lived on the farm. Howard wanted to return to Canada to see if, after all those years, he would be able to find where his grandfather and uncle and aunt had lived. In 1974, he and his wife drove to Erickson where they were directed to Bill Wickdahl's farm home. He graciously took them through the house. It was so much fun to see the very rooms in which they had lived. They were amused to see a potato patch near the house because Enok always bragged about what huge potatoes he raised in Canada. To think that after all these years there were still potatoes growing near Enok's old home.

An interesting thing happened as they were leaving Erickson and were stopped at a gas station. Having noticed their Minnesota licence, a man came over to talk. On learning that Howard was Fina's nephew, he told them that his wife had taken piano lessons from her many years ago.


by Olive Ronholm

Peter Olai Nederberg came with his sister lakobine Nederberg from Syvde, Norway in 1883, to Donnelly, Minnesota. Several years later they sent money for the rest of the family to come, which included their aged parents and four children. The parents are buried in the Kongsvinger Church cemetery, Donnelly, Minnesota. Peter changed his last name from Nederberg to Berg. In the early 1890's he married Olivia Anderson Lystebakken, who had emigrated with her youngest sister Tolvina, from Grue in Solar, Norway. They were married by the Rev. Ole Dahle.

To this union were born four sons and one daughter.

The oldest son died at birth and is buried in Donnelly. Elmer, the third son, died at age five of pneumonia. He was buried on the farm place at Island Lake near Aitkin, Minnesota as there was no graveyard. The body was later moved to the Doris Church Cemetery in rural Aitkin. This was a great sorrow and they soon moved back to Donnelly. It was also in the fall of 1894 that Olivia lost track of her sister, Tolvina, who was working in a farm home in the Hinckley Area. It is believed that she perished in the Hinckley fire of September 1st, 1894, as no trace of her was ever found. Many died in that fire who were unaccounted for and buried in a common grave. Olivia did not like the prairie and the tornadoes so was glad to move into the woods in Canada. Peter and Olivia Berg emigrated to Danvers, Canada in 1903, settling on the south 1/2 of Sec. 19-18-18.


Left to Right: Peter, Sigurd, Olivia, Anna, and Ole Berg.

Ole Paul Andrew, was the second son, born in Don­ nelly in 1893. Ole was ten years old when they moved to Danvers, and at that very young age he was assigned one of the railroad boxcars that they used when moving. Ole also took a homestead in his early teens. (refer to Berg, Ole and Berta.)

Anna Sophie, the only daughter, was born at Don­ nelly, Minnesota, in 1899, and was three years old when the family moved to Canada. When they got to Canada, Mrs. Berg had to clean up a chicken coop to live in until a house could be found. Later they moved into the old Hanson farm house on Sec. 17 and in 1906 they built their home on Sec. 19. The Peter Berg home was con­ sidered one of the nice homes in the community, where everyone was welcome. Here many many immigrants came and stayed until they could master the language or find other work.

The immigrants,. in the winter, would often work for board and room, clearing the land and getting fields ready for spring. Farming in the Danvers area was indeed hard work. Ole had an accident in the woods, cutting his knee when his ax slipped. He was hospitalized for weeks and almost lost his leg, and a stiff knee resulted. This kept Ole from serving in the military in World War I, but also made farming difficult for him. When they first came to Danvers their closest shopping was Minnedosa. Peter would take three days, - travel was by lumber wagon - one to travel, one to shop and one to come home. He would stay with his youngest sister, Hannah Priest, who owned a hotel there. One time on the way Peter stepped into the spring by the school and went wet all day, and when he got home he had lumbago and was confined to bed for over three weeks - lucky to recover without having much medical care. Mrs. Berg was known for being a good cook - especially her doughnuts and custard pies. The school teachers often boarded at the Berg home as well as the pastors when they came to the community. Mrs. Berg spent many evenings knitting articles from wool she had sheared, washed, carded and spun. Peter and Olivia Berg were dedicated Christian people who wanted a church in which to worship. They