This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 294 or Next - Page 296

active in community affairs. Tom held offices in the Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the Lions Club. Jean was a Past President of the Women's Institute and a 4-H leader.

The family attended the United Church of Canada at Onanole.

Son Bob entered University of Manitoba in 1961 and received a degree of Pharmacy. He married Linda Jackson of Langruth in 1965 and they have two children:

Michael and Sharri. They reside in Minnedosa.

Laurence attended Erickson high school, then went on to take a Bachelor of Arts degree at Brandon University. He joined the Royal Bank and is presently manager of a Winnipeg branch. He married Christine Gerrard of Strathclair and they have three children; Stephen, Laurie and Andrea. Eleanor took high school in Erickson, then took a stenographic course in Winnipeg. She married Kenneth Thiessen of Winnipeg and they have one son, Kori. Their present home is Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Tom retired from the Bank in 1970. He passed away in 1979 after a lengthy illness. His widow, Jean resides in Minnedosa.


by Louis Biczo

My father, Valentine Biczo, emigrated from Hungary, in 1908. As with many immigrants to Canada, he took up homesteading in Saskatchewan. He constructed a cabin of sorts, and with the help of neighbors and doing odd jobs he managed to survive as a farmer for several years. He finally had to give up farming so he shovelled coal for a fuel company in Regina, and attended school to learn the English language. He saved enough money from his meagre wages to enable him to enroll in a barber school in Regina.

Meanwhile, my mother Elizabeth, a very young widow in Hungary, left her year-and-a-half old daughter Betty with grandparents there and in 1914 arrived in Regina. She was able to secure employment at the Queen's Hotel as a dishwasher and was later promoted to waitress. It was there in the dining-room that she met Val. Two young people, lonely, far from home, struggling to learn the Canadian language and customs, sharing the same mother tongue, could only succumb to the inevitable. They married and two years later decided to start raising a family.

Margaret was born in Regina in 1916. When she was two years of age Val and Elizabeth decided they would try their hand at farming again because barbering was slow and they could barely exist. This time they rented a farm near Mortlach, Sask. Disaster! The crops were eaten by wireworms so they threw in the gunny sack and the binder twine and abandoned farming. Then I came along to help them move.

Eventually my parents landed in Rossburn where Dad had a barber shop for a couple of years. It was at this time that he answered a newspaper advertisement regarding a barber shop and poolroom for sale in Erickson. He was fortunate in that it required a very low down payment. It also meant that we would be moving


It was decided at this time that Mother, Margaret and I would to to Hungary and bring Betty to Canada. That was in 1922. All household items were sold to raise money for the trip and away we went. Dad took up residence at Miller's Hotel in Erickson. In Hungary, Mother, who had had experience in practical nursing, remained to administer to the needs of two sick grand­ parents. Eventually they both died and it was two years later that the whole family was united in Erickson.

The first place of residence for the family was three rooms at the home of Mrs. Forsman. Later a house was purchased, renovated and enlarged, and served as our principal residence for the next 23 years. Finally we were going to establish roots in a community.

Louis, Volentine, Elizabeth and Margaret Biczo.

Betty, Margaret and I were enrolled in school and we attended the Lutheran Church and Sunday School. As time went by the entire family was involved in community affairs and events. Quite often Sundays were spent berry­ picking, usually in the Crawford Park or Clear Lake rural ereas. This, of course, happened after we got the family car. It was a Willys Overland. We kids could never figure out why Dad wouldn't put the top of the car down like some other people did who had touring cars.

However, in the winter, cars were usually drained and put up on blocks so the tires wouldn't go flat. Then it was