This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 295 or Next - Page 297

ice-skating on the lake. The skating rink was built later. We would also ski across the lake to the "Island" and enjoy the one ski run there. Another pleasant experience for me was playing in the dance band. We called our­ selves Joe's Legionnaires. At the beginning of the war we found ourselves playing three or four nights a week for Legion Clubs in Erickson and surrounding towns as well as for the weekly Barn Dance at Hilltop. I was 17 years old then and I can remember playing from nine in the evening until two or three the next morning. For this we got two dollars each and travelling expenses, which also came to about two dollars. Gasoline was getting ex­ pensive because of the war - it had gone up to 25 cents a gallon, and our family car (a 1930 Chevrolet) wasn't a­ fixin' to travel anywhere without gas.

Prior to all this, of course, Mother Biczo, with her practical nursing experience, began helping Dr. Rutledge deliver babies and look after the mothers. Two rooms were converted into a nursing area with three beds and an operating table for tonsil cases. For the next twenty-three years the nursing home was seldom without patients. Records indicate that there were over 2000 babies born in the nursing home. The cost of the confinement was $20. Because of the Depression many were unable to pay this amount. The provincial Government, through its welfare program, would pay $15 for the l l-day confinement, and the patient would pay the remaining $5 - if they could. Many times Mother would receive chickens, eggs or other farm produce instead of the five dollars. During the winter blizzards Dr. Rutledge and Mother occasionally had to go to isolated farm areas to deliver babies. Sometimes they were driven out by way of horse and cutter; other times someone would pump the hand "jigger" on the railway and then they would be met by horse and sleigh at the other end.

Mother was always a busy person. Besides the nursing home she found time to look after a large garden, help out at socials, take an active part in the Red Cross, knit dozens of pairs of socks for the boys fighting overseas, and even got her gold pin as a blood donor. Maybe it was this activity that kept us all going during the difficult times.

During the depression years money was scarce. Very few people could afford the 25 cents for a haircut or the 15 cents for a shave. Heads of families did their own barbering in their own homes. Dad kept the business going by selling the odd chocolate bar and soft drink at five cents each and the ten cents for a game of pool. The pool hall was also a place where the unemployed men could meet their friends for social conversation, usually about farm problems and unemployment, and play cards.

Betty left Erickson and went to stay with friends in Regina. She got employment there, married, had a son and later moved to Vancouver. Her son, Terry Guest, at present is Chief Engineer at the Pulp and Paper Mill on Northern Vancouver Island. Betty has spent many years in the Vancouver area as an alterationist and tailoress and at the time of publication of this book she is, at the age of 70, still going strong as a tailoress.

Margaret journeyed to British Columbia and married a logger. Many years were spent in logging, and later she


and her husband bought an orchard, raised fruit for a few years and then retired in the sunny climate of the Okanagan at Osoyoos,

I left Erickson for the mines of Northern Ontario.

There I married Chubby, a Neepawa girl, and later we had two children. Today Pamela, the only member of the family to be born in the Biczo's nursing home, is a radio announcer at CKOO in Osoyoos. She and her husband have taken over the family orchard and represent three generations on the same fruit farm. They have two sons. Dan, the other member of my family, is a machinist at a large lumber mill in the Prince George area of British Columbia.

In the meantime I served three years in the military. In 1951, when Dad died, I took over the orchard and raised fruit for the next ten years. The call of education finally drew me into the schools and I taught instrumental music for the next twenty-five years. I have now retired and I am living with my wife in the Qualicum Beach area of Vancouver Island. At present, 1983, I and my two sisters, Margaret and Betty, are all that remains of the original family.

Mother and Dad sold their business and nursing home in 1948 and struck out for Vancouver. They arrived in Osoyoos in the beautiful Okanagan Valley, liked the place and bought an orchard. This was the same orchard that was to remain in the family. Dad died in 1951, at the age of 64 and Mother died in 1976, at 83 years of age.


D.Y. came to the Erickson district in 1925. For many years he operated the Dominion Cafe on the North side of Main Street where Andy's Cafe is today. He was one of Erickson's first Chinese residents.

In 1940, he left Erickson, for Minnedosa and later operated a cafe at Binscarth, Manitoba. D. Y. now resides in Winnipeg with his grandchildren. Jim Dare came to live with D.Y. and he attended school for a short time in 1926. Then he left for Dominion City, Manitoba.


Peter married Alice Taylor born 1882, who was a sister to Wm. and Harold Taylor. Peter applied for a homestead N.E. 30-18-17W on October 31, 1911, and received title on June 23, 1922. Peter has since passed away. Alice passed away September 12, 1963. They had three children:

Stanley, married and resides in Winnipeg. Edna, deceased.

Walter, born in 1922, attended school at Nedrob and later enlisted in the Second World War, a Private in the South Saskatchewan Regiment. Walter passed away on August 12, 1980, and is buried in the Erickson Cemetery.