|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 297 or Next - Page 299
Sweden. A geography and an arithmetic book are in the possession of Grand-daughter, Mary. It was a long way from the homestead to Hilltop School, but the solution was that the children stay with their uncle, Otto Peterson. Mr. Booth brought them on Sunday and they walked the six miles home on Friday afternoons. With the building of Lund School in 1902, the children could then stay at home as it was only a little over three miles to school!
Mrs. Booth did a considerable amount of nursing and midwifery for her neighbors. Dr. J.N. Andrew of Minnedosa often called on her to come to one of his patients. Such was the case when Mrs. James Dagg was delivered of a baby girl and died the same day. Mrs. Booth took the infant home and she became Jennie Booth, their sixth child.
Mrs. Booth died at home after a long illness in 1937.
She was 79 years of age. Mr. Booth died in Clanwilliam in 1939, at the age of 83. Both are buried in Hilltop Cemetery.
Charles G. Booth (1882-1919) left the home farm at an early age. He worked in the engine room of a lake steamer out of Warroad, Minnesota, two years. In winter he worked in Winnipeg and attended night school. He joined the CPR in 1900, working first out of Lethbridge then Medicine Hat, where he was promoted to railway engineer in 1906. In 1908, he married Margaret Ehlin. They had one daughter Mary, born in 1910.
With the outbreak of World War I, they returned to Manitoba, and bought N.E. 5-17-17W from Alf Dagg. They lived in a house belonging to the elder Booths on N.W. 4-17-17W. They raised cattle and sheep.
In 1919, Charlie died following surgery for a ruptured appendix. His widow left the farm after a year and worked as a housekeeper in Clanwilliam and Erickson before she married Olav Olson in 1922.
Annie M. married Charles Pearson. They farmed S.E. 7-17-17W until they retired, first to Clanwilliam and then to Minnedosa. They had two children, Idella (MacKay), Golden, B.C., and Eleanor (Ross), Minnedosa.
Annie was widowed in 1967 after which she lived with the Ross's for many years, then finally was a resident of Minnedosa Personal Care Home.
Mary C. (1886-1910) was never very strong and died at the age of 23 of kidney failure.
John R. (1888-1968) married Mary Johnson in 1923.
He was his parents mainstay through their lives. He continued to farm the family farms until 1950 when he sold the home-place to his brother-in-law, Vincent Johnson, and moved to a property on the south side of Clan william village. He died following a heart attack in 1968. He was an avid fisherman and hunter all his life, fun loving and kind.
His widow contined to live in Clan william for some years, then in Minnedosa. She died in the personal care home in 1982.
Freda E. (1891- ) married Henry Syslak in 1922. They lived briefly on N.W. 8-17-17W before moving to Clanwilliam where Henry operated a butcher shop for many years. They had three children, Elsie (McWhite), Carl and Walter. Freda was widowed in 1973 and now lives in Minnedosa Personal Care Home.
Jennie (1910- ) married Joseph Johnson (see
Johnson). They lived on S.E. 18-17-17W until retirement when they moved to Erickson. Joe died in 1976. Their children are Selma (Skoglund), Ronald, Albert, Marlene (LaBuke), Janet (Lofgren) and Fay (Lee).
Mary Edna (1910- ), Charlie's daughter, started her schooling at Lund, then Grey School in Clanwilliam and Erickson. She attended Winnipeg Normal School and Brandon General Hospital School of Nursing. In 1946 she went to Rochester, Minnesota for post graduate study. She remained in the USA until early 1973 when she retired and returned to Erickson. She married Arthur Koping November 1, 1973. (refer to Arthur Koping)
BOUCHER, LORNE AND MARGARET
Lorne was born and educated in Brandon, Manitoba, and started working for the Manitoba Power Com mission in 1946 after receiving his discharge from the Royal Canadian Artillery.
Margaret Boscow was born and educated in Melita, Manitoba, and worked for the Manitoba Telephone System. Melita is where Margaret and Lorne met and were married in May, 1951.
Their first home was in Killarney where their first child, Charlene, was born. After three years in Killarney, they moved to Baldur, Manitoba, for fourteen years, where their first son, Edward, and second daughter, Lori, were born.
In 1968, the Boucher family moved to Erickson. Lorne retired in 1981 and they have made Erickson their per manent home.
In November, 1974, Charlene married Robyn Copeland from Emerson. They have two children, Laurel Kristin and James Lesie, and are living in Brandon.
In June, 1979, Edward married Valerie Carter from Onanole and they are now living in Thompson, Manitoba.
Lori is presently living at home in Erickson.
BOYKO, GEORGE AND ANNE
by Victor Boyko
George married Anne Bobyk in the Ukraine. They immigrated to Canada in 1898, and purchased a homestead, S.E. 24-17-17W. Anne passed away in 1932. George passed away in 1935. They were buried in the St. Mary's Cemetery at Mountain Road. They had five children.
Mary - deceased.
John was born August 2, 1899, on his parents' farm.
John married Annie Kopeechuk, daughter of Wasyl and Pearl Kopeechuk on February 20, 1921. In the fall of 1923, they moved to S.W. 27-17-17W, then in the spring of 1927, to S.W. 26-17-18W, and in 1928, to N.E. 23-17- 18W. John passed away February 10, 1982, and is buried at St. Mary's Cemetery, Mountain Road. Annie resides with her sons Victor and Elmer on the family farm. John and Annie have been life long members of the St. Mary's Church at Mountain Road. They had five children, all