|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 296 or Next - Page 298
Back Row, Left to Right: Mary, Carl, John, Annie. Front Row: Freda, Carl and Anna Booth.
BOOTH, CARL R. AND ANNA C.
by Mary Booth Koping
Carl R. and Anna C. emigrated from Dalarna, Sweden, in July 1893. They have five children ranging in age from ten to one year old. They were Charles, Anna, Mary, John and Freda. Their resettlement was not as severe as for some because Mrs. Booth had two brothers, Carl and Otto Peterson, and a sister, Mrs. Ullberg, living in the Hilltop area. The family lived with Otto Peterson who was a bachelor, for nearly a year.
In January, 1894, Mr. Booth filed for homestead N.E. 4-17 -17W. He chose this because they intended to raise cattle and sheep and there was a lake and large hay meadows on the land. The first home was a two storey log structure with two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. The furniture was mostly handmade by Uncle Carl Peterson who had some cabinet making experience in Sweden. He even made a loom for Mrs. Benson!
Hard work was the order of the day and whenever the Crawleys or Curries needed day workers, the Booths were glad to oblige.
Transportation was by the ox team they owned. One story is that Mrs. Booth had promised to provide the
coffee for a picnic at Hilltop. But - on that day Mr. Booth and Charlie were asked to work at Curries on sec. lO-17-17W. Mrs. Booth harnessed the oxen herself, dressed the kids in their Sunday best, and set out for Hilltop. About two miles west the oxen spied some tantalizing water lilies in a slough, so in they went. Mrs. Booth coaxed and threatened to no avail; the oxen stayed put. Finally, in desperation, she had John, aged 8, strip and attempt to lead the oxen out. No go! So the family had to sit there all day. Finally when the mosquitoes got bad in the evening the oxen remembered that there was usually a "smudge" in the barn yard, so they ambled home.
By 1908, they had acquired more land and felt economically able to afford a bigger house. Mrs. Booth referred to this house as "the house that butter built". Mr. Booth and John had the lumber sawed from logs they cut but all finishing lumber, nails, hardware and the furniture for the nine room house was bought with credits Mrs. Booth had in Minnedosa. Her butter customers were notably P.O. McDermott and Black Brothers. This house is still standing and is owned and occupied by Jack Martin and his family.
Education was evidently always a priority for with their settlers' effects were school texts brought from