|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 316 or Next - Page 318
deal of support to the Erickson Skating Rink during the years that Heather participated in figure skating and the boys in hockey. Robert was also on the Tales School Board for some years, until it was closed in 1964.
CARLSON, JOHN O. AND FREDA
by Flora Ehlin
John O. was born in Norway and immigrated to Canada, making his home with his father. He obtained land in the Norland district pt. N.E. 36-18-18W and pt. N. W. 36-18-18W, part surrounding Pacey Lake and lived there for some time.
John and Freda Carlson.
John married Freda Ostrom in November, 1918, daughter of Olof and Gerta Sundmark. She was born in 1886, in Kramfors, Sweden. She came to Hilltop with her parents in 1893. Freda was the widow of Oscar Ostrom and they had one son, Herbert.
John and Freda bought his father's farm, N.E. 30-17- 18W and they moved there and delivered milk to Erickson for several years. They sold their farm and moved to town, taking over the running of the livery barn and later the J . I. Case agency.
John and Freda had boarders for a number of years in their home. He served on the Village council.
John passed away in 1970, and Freda passed away on March 23, 1974.
Herbert was married to Myrtle Holmstrom and they had two children; Roger and Marilyn, also three grand children.
CARLSON, OLOF AND EMMA
by Olga's lifelong friend - Emma Carlson and the/amity
Olof and Emma Carlson came to Scandinavia from Stockholm, Sweden, in the spring of 1903, homesteading S.W. 28-18-17W. Four of their six children came with them. Olga (refer to Johnson, Gotfrid, and Olga), Ingeborg, Nora (refer to Miller, Charles and Nora) and Erik. They ranged in age from twelve to six years. Their eldest son, Edward, had emigrated to the U.S.A. and teenaged David had remained behind in Sweden. He joined the family a year and a half later. The children were among the early pupils of Norland School.
Olof was an accomplished piano cabinet maker having worked in a furniture factory in Stockholm. There was little call for fine carpentry in the community, but he had the chance to put his skill to use at times. He was also an educated man, and a good singer. This earned him the name "Songar Carlson" (Singer Carlson). He enjoyed getting groups together for choral training. The first year they were here he started a choir which he named "Lyran" (The Lyre). It was not easy to maintain as people either moved away or went away to work so this first choir only lasted a year or two. Later he did train groups especially for occasions when numbers were needed for programs. From the one note of a tuning fork he picked up each part and taught it separately. Then he put them together into a harmonious choir without music, much to the enjoyment of both singers and listeners. Thus he added bright spots in the life of people often hungry for the culture denied them in their primitive conditions.
In 1910 the family moved to the farm on S.E. 5-18- 18W, North of Erickson. There he built the house that was used until the late 1930's. In 1913 he sold the farm to Chris Neilson and they left for Texas where their son, Edward, was encouraging them to come. A great deal of construction was going on in this area. Ingeborg and Erik went with them. They settled first in Port Arthur. Olof became the man in charge of a cabinet making shop and a pattern making department in a large shipyard that was building vessels for the allies of the first World War before the United States was involved.