|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 350 or Next - Page 352
Erickson, with horses and sleigh. These trips were long and cold for the few dollars they received for the wood.
In 1937, Art and family moved to his farm of 1/4 section which was two miles NE of the Bethel Store. They farmed with a minimum of poor machinery. The only money coming in was from the sale of a few eggs and a small amount of cream. Art's army pension helped to keep them living. It wasn't a large amount of money either. Mary and the children never left home during the winter months. Art made a trip once a month for groceries and supplies. This was a tough trip to make with horses and cutter as it was nine miles from town.
In 1947, Art, Mary and family moved to a small holding west of Erickson. Art took on the job of draying and hauling coal. Mary worked for her nephew, Wally Townley at Wally's Bakery. She helped with the pie making. Art also looked after the old open air skating rink the winter of 1949-50.
In 1953, they moved to another small holding about a mile south of Erickson. Art carried on with his job. Mary had a problem getting around due to a crippling disease, therefore was not able to carryon working away from home.
Mary and Art lived out their retirement years in their home, enjoying country fairs and visiting their family and grandchildren. Mary was having increasing difficulty getting around, but with Art's help and her perseverance she kept from resorting to a wheelchair. Mary passed away September 19, 1978, at the Brandon General Hospital after a very short stay due to an onset of serious illness.
Art remained in his home in Erickson. He found it very lonely, but he was very determined to keep his in dependence. He was found in his home having suffered a stroke, by a volunteer Meals on Wheels helper. He passed away April 19, 1980, at the Brandon General Hospital. Mary and Art's funeral and burial services were held at the Lutheran Church and cemetery at Erickson.
Art and Mary's two children;
Joyce, was born in 1936, at Erickson in Mrs. Biczo's home with Dr. Rutledge as her doctor. Joyce graduated from Erickson High School in 1954. She had been working weekends and holidays at Wally's Cafe since 1950. After she graduated she went to work as a Nurse's Aide at the Ninette Sanitorium. Following this she took her Practical Nurse's training at Neepawa, Manitoba, graduating in 1956. That same year she married Ronald Johnson of the Hilltop district. They were married at Erickson at the Lutheran Church. (refer to Johnson; Joe and Jennie).
Stanley, their son was born in 1940 also at Erickson with Dr. Rutledge in attendance. Joyce and Stan attended Tales school and went to Danvers Lutheran Sunday School. A few years later they were confirmed in this church. Stan took his schooling in Erickson. He belonged to the cubs and took on a paper route to make spending money. After he left school, he worked on several constructions including Harper's Construction building elevators. In 1962, Stan married Hazel Dagg of Scan dinavia. Hazel travelled with Stan while he worked on construction. Their son Terrence (Terry) was born in 1962, in Regina, Saskatchewan. Their daughter Jo-Anne
was born in Minnedosa in 1964. Stan and Hazel were divorced in 1978. Stan worked for Electrolux Co. for a short time but his main job was driving a semi-truck, which he has done for a number of years and still is. He has covered many miles from B.C. to Ontario and far into the U.S.A. In 1981, Stan married Anne Fahey of Brandon, formerly of Nova Scotia. They have made their home in Brandon. They also have the former home of Art English to spend holidays and weekends at. Terry and Jo-Anne have remained living in Brandon with their mother.
ENGMAN, FRANK AND MARIA
Information; Crown Lands Branch Neepawa Land Titles
Rufus Stephenson Report - March 21, 1889
Emanual Oh/en Report - October - 1890 and Immigration Report
Frank Lawrence, born in 1849 at Stockholm, Sweden.
He immigrated to the United States and then to the Scandinavia Colony in the Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam. On February 22, 1886, he applied for a homestead S.E. 20-18-17W through the Dominion Lands Commission, and received the title, October 31, 1890.
By the year 1888, Frank had a log home 14 x 16, a log stable 12 x 14, 10 acres broken with six acres cropped, a yoke of oxen, four pigs, a wagon, sleigh, plow and harrows. He was not married.
He applied for N.E. 17-18-17W on October 5, 1897, and received the homestead title on October 8, 1901. Apparently he received both quarters as a homestead through an error at the Dominion Lands but was allowed to keep both as homesteads by meeting the qualifications.
Frank married Maria Getty sometime after 1890. In 1901, he worked at Minnedosa but returned to the farms.
Frank Engman barn, built in 1906.