This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 360 or Next - Page 362

worked as a carpenter until his retirement. They had a family of six girls; Margaret Martha, Bernice, Irene, Rhoda, Gladys and Lorna. Harvey passed away in 1975 and is buried at All Saints Cemetery, north of Clan­ william. Elivena resides in Minnedosa.

Margaret Susannah Frazer married Thomas Erven and they had two daughters; Gwendolyn Hazel and Mavis Elivena. Thomas passed away in 1946 and his wife, Margaret, in 1950. The two little girls then went to live with their grandparents, who raised them. Gwen married Jack Webb and they have two sons, Brian and Danny. Mavis married Ron Monro and they have two children, Tami and Guy.

Martha Bernice Frazer married Jim Guinn and they reside in Neepawa. They have two children, Kenneth and Merilee. Kenneth married Lorraine Fedak and they have two children, Jami and Michelle.

Edith Irene Frazer is married to Jack Neely and they live at Richmond, B.C.

Rhoda Mae Frazer married H.M. Richards and they had three sons; William, Ronald and Norman. Rhoda resides in Kenora, Ont. Her husband passed away in 1973. William married Violet Goulet and they have a daughter, Shawn. Ronald married Gail Davis and they have two children, Lana and Jeffrey. Norman married Irene Leroux and they have a son, Matthew.

Gladys Patricia Frazer married Jim Murray and they reside in Minnedosa. They have three children; Debra, Heather and Donald. Debra married Bruce Betteridge and they have two children, Derek and Tricia. Heather married Jim Froome and they have two sons, Tyler and Bradley.

Lome Constance Elivena Frazer married Bill Wolfe and they reside at Richmond, B.C. They have three children; Lori, Shelley and Brent. Lori is married to Peter Scott.


by Mabel Korberg

Carl Christian Frederickson was born on May 4, 1886, at Falster, Denmark. His mother died when he was seven. He and his three sisters were brought up in foster homes. His one sister, Helen, also came to Canada and now lives in Minneapolis at the age of 91 years. The other two remained in Denmark. Chris emigrated to Canada in 1906 and came to the Clan william area where he worked for MacPherson's and other farmers. He met and married Christine Neilson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Neilson of Clan william, in Winnipeg, May 4, 1912. Chris then worked as a painter at the Winnipeg General Hospital. There, they resided four and a half years. Here two children were born, Arthur and Edith. In 1917, they moved to the Clanwilliam District where they bought a quarter section of land N.E. 6-17-17W. With only a few acres broken, he cleared more land with axe and saw and then the land was broken with horses and plow. The wood that was taken off this land was used to keep the old log house warm and to cook with. This house was on the S.E. corner of this land. Later, they built a house on the north side of the quarter and lived

there 28 years.

Four more children were born here; Helen, Mildred, Mabel and Harold. All six children attended Lakelet school. We had three miles to walk winter and summer, sometimes we would get a ride on our way to school on a load of wood, someone who was off to Minnedosa (15 miles) to make a sale or maybe a load of grain to the Clanwilliam elevator. Sometimes in winter, it was better to walk and keep warm as many times it was 20° , 30° and 40° below. Coming home from school, the sleighs or wagons would be empty coming from town and one friendly man (Albert Skoglund) who lived in the Lund district then, was known as "The Candy Man". He would have a treat and getting a candy then was a treat. There were a couple of men who would make the horses run, if they were going by the school just at four o'clock.

There were no favorites. We didn't have toys like children of today but we made our own fun. We played house, made mud pies and cakes, sawdust for coconut decorated with spruce cones, stones, etc., skating ice was made by shovelling snow off a nearby pond.

Dad and mother would make a trip by horses and buggy or cutter once a week to Clanwilliam (6 miles) to sell butter and eggs. One of mother's long-time customers I remember was Harry Gibbs. If we were lucky to be able to go along to town with five cents to spend, it made our day.

McQuarrie's store was the place to shop as he had everything, well kept and clean. Then it was to get the mail and the mail came through in those days faithfully. If there happened to be a new Eaton's catalogue in the mail, that would be entertainment for the family, at least the female members for a few weeks, wondering what new items of clothing we should get or hoped to get?

Our place of worship was the Lutheran church north and east of Clanwilliam at that time. All our family attended confirmation classes there. We also attended many ice-cream (homemade) socials and Ladies Aids, the members of the Lutheran church held at different homes

Chris and Christine Frederickson's 50th Wedding anniversary.