This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 381 or Next - Page 383

of Erickson, in 1940. They resided in Erickson until 1944, during which time their first child, Myrna, was born. They also have two sons, Jan and Owen. Orville married Lavina Hodges of Onauole, in 1944. They settled on the family farm N.W. 18-18-18W. They remained there until 1956 during which time two children, Bryan and Sharyn, were born. After leaving the district a third child, Curtis, was born. Ruth married Patrick.Doan of Elphinstone. (refer to Doan, Almon and Winnifred). Robert and Deborah Tollefson are great-grandchildren of Oswald and Anna, born to the oldest granddaughter, Myrna.

Although family members have not resided in the municipality since 1956, the ties have remained strong. Margaret and Ruth both have cottages in the area and Orville remains the present owner of N. W. 18-18-18W. They and their families along with Anna are frequent visitors to the area and return each year to make their summer homes there.

GUSDAL, ARTHUR AND MARY

by Mary Gusdal

Arthur Clifford, son of Petra Irene, nee Skorge and Matthias Larsen Gusdal was born December 6, 1902, at De Graff, Minnesota. At the age of eight, Arthur came to Canada with his parents, to the Bethel District on S. 1 /2 18-18-18W. He attended Tales school and also was the school janitor. On September 3, 1916, Arthur was confirmed in Norwegian by Pastor S.O. Vangstad at the Bethel Church, Danvers. He played baseball as a catcher for the Danvers team for many years with the Hall's, Paulsen's, Stone's and other young men of the area. He attended Business College in Brandon for one year and then began his farming career by purchasing N.W. 28-18- 18W known as the John Nordquist farm.

In October, 1929, Arthur married Mary Merrell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Merrell of Killarney, Manitoba. Mary was a school teacher at Erickson at the time. She attended school in Manitoba and Saskat­ chewan, taking Normal School at Dauphin, Manitoba. Arthur and Mary purchased S.W. 6-18-18W, known as the Speechly farm, where they made their home. On May 3, 1934, they acquired S.E. 1-18-19W in the Rural Municipality of Harrison and later purchased N.E. 8-18- 18W and N.W. 9-18-18W where a considerable amount of gravel has been sold to the Highways Department and Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam.

In 1953, Mary returned to teaching, first at Round Lake school and later to Holmfield, Tales and Erickson, retiring in 1971.

In 1974, Art and Mary incorporated the farms under the name of "Mariart" and are now leasing to Edward Zatylny.

They have been active in the Community. Art served as a Councillor for Ward Four from 1952-59 and as a Reeve for Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam from 1962-1970 when he retired from local government.

They were members of the Bethel Lutheran Church, Danvers and on October 13, 1968, became Charter Members of the Erickson Lutheran Church. They were always active avid curlers and members of the Perky

382

Arthur and Mary Gusdal- 45th Anniversary.

Pioneer Group.

Mary served on the local school board, Parish Board, Superintendent of Bethel Sunday school and on the executive of a number of ladies organizations. At present, she is President of the Perky Pioneer Group, Honorary member of the Ladies' Curling Club, charter member of the Erickson Women's Institute.

Arthur passed away June 25, 1982, and is buried at the Bethel Cemetery, Danvers. Mary resides on the family farm with her daughter Fay.

Arthur and Mary had nine children who were members of the Bethel Lutheran Church.

Their children are:

Merril Larsen was born March 1, 1930, on the farm, confirmed at the Bethel Lutheran Church, Danvers by Reverend Sevig. He attended school at Erickson, graduating from Grade eleven in 1948. He was very active in sports, receiving many ribbons. Merril remained on the farm helping his father. He curled, played hockey with the Erickson team and continued pitching on the baseball team and also a guest pitcher for other teams at tour­ naments. In 1952, he played for the Dauphin Red Birds' baseball team and later that year, Merril moved to Churchill taking a job as a Butcher for the Government Stores.

In December 1956, Merril married Midge Hunneault from Ottawa who was working for the Secret Service of the War Department at Churchill. Over the years he worked for the Government at Minaki, Point du Bois and Shilo, owned their own business at Hope, B.C., before moving to Ottawa where they now reside. Their five children are; Sonya, Shawn, Sindy, Steve and Shayne.