This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 393 or Next - Page 395

Municipality. He traded Charlie Beattie a load of wood for a sheepskin coat. One incident he recalls, heading out for camp one bitterly cold day, the horses had to keep knocking the icicles that were forming on their nostrils, so they could breath. He walked most of the twenty five miles with only gum rubbers and lumber socks on his feet. When he arrived at the camp the men could hardly believe that he had not frozen his feet as it was fifty two below zero.

He retired back to Rapid City. Nancy passed away and was buried at the Erickson Cemetery. John resided at Rapid City until the late fall of 1980, when he entered the Care Home at Minnedosa.

In 1983, John marked his l00th birthday with a tea held in Rapid City. That was an enjoyable day for him, as were the days he participated in the Centennial Celebrations at both Minnedosa and Rapid City. He rode on a horse-drawn float in Minnedosa and rode as Rapid City's centenarian in that parade. He was keenly in­ terested in the machinery display at Rapid City, reminisced about the old-time machines and marvelled at the newest on the lot.

John greeted Lieutenent Governor, Her Honor Pearl McGonigal, when she visited him at the Minnedosa Care Home. Now in his 101st year, John continues to get around the Home in his wheelchair, out to the dining room for meals, and will spend a long time or a short time, whatever you can spare, in remembering interesting things from his past with friends, relatives and staff.


by Ann Cook

Charles Hall was born January 6, 1885, in Kid­ derminster, England and came to Canada in the early 1900's. He worked as a farm labourer and a carpenter in and around the Clanwilliam area.

He also was in the cavalry in World War 1. After the war, he came back to the Clan william area.

Charles married Marie Hanson, daughter of Hans and Anna Hanson on June 9, 1920 at Immanual Lutheran Church, most of their married life they lived on S.E. 21- 16-17W in the Minto Municipality. As well as farming, he built schools and other buildings around this area. Then around 1940, he went to work in the summer at Riding Mountain National Park where he worked in the office at the campgrounds looking after the tennis courts.

He passed away on November 16, 1946, following a lengthy illness. Following Charles' death, Marie moved into the village of Clanwilliam. She worked at McQuarrie's and later at Taylor's store for a number of years. Marie still lives in Clanwilliam and enjoys baking and cooking and visits from her 19 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Four children were born in this family.

Hubert was born August 27, 1921. He went to Empire school, after his schooling, he worked for his grandfather before joining up in 1941 and served overseas before being discharged in 1945. After the war, he worked as an electrical helper in Neepawa before working for P.F .R.A., where he remained for 33 years, retiring in the


fall of 1981. Hubert married Doreen Hunt of Neepawa on October 8, 1949 at Brandon before moving to Regina. Five children were born; Linda (Mrs. Bill Gray) lives at Virden, Karen (Mrs. Harvey McEwen) Regina, Saskatchewan. Donna (Mrs. D. Harrison) Regina, Brian and Elaine live at home. There are seven grandchildren. Doreen passed away December, 1980.

Hubert still lives in Regina and works part time as a commissionaire and is active in church and Legion ac­ tivities.

Ruth Elizabeth was born September 10, 1924 and went to Empire and Grey schools. After grade eleven, she went out to Vancouver, B.C. and stayed with an aunt where she took a business course and worked for the Manufacture Life Company. She married Malcolm Finseth on April 19, 1949. They made their home in North Vancouver for a few years. They have lived a number of years in Haney, B.C. where Mal is a salesman and Ruth works for an accounting firm. They have three boys; Gregory and his wife Jean who are presently living in England, Richard and Claudia and son Eric live in Tacoma, Washington and Kevin in Vancouver.

Charles "Keith" was born June 6, 1927. He also at­ tended Empire and Grey schools. After school he worked at Shaw's garage in Clan william and did a bit of farming, then he worked for B. A. Oil in Neepawa. In 1955, he also joined P.F.R.A. and spent time in various com­ munities looking after the fencing of many community pastures. He has lived in Regina for 20 odd years and also retired last year. Keith married Muriel Dean at Regina February 25, 1961 and lived there since. They have five children; Heather, Daryl, Dawn, Andrea and Curtis. The children kept them busy in school, church and com­ munity activities. Heather is to be married August, 1983.

Ann Marie was born October 21, 1935. She went to Empire school for 4 years and then Grey school for the rest of her schooling. (refer to Cook, Andrew and Viola).


by the Family

Erik, born 1865, and Elisabet, born 1871, in Jamtland, Sweden, were married in the Lutheran Church in Lit in March, 1891. Erik emigrated to Canada in 1903, coming to the home of Elias Danroht, an acquaintance from Sweden, in the Lund district. In a year's time he was able to send for his family, so Elisabet followed him in the summer of 1904 with their six children, ranging in age from twelve to two years. Two more children were born in Canada. The first months they lived in part of the vacant home, store and post office owned by C. V. Carlson, the immigration house near Otter Lake being gone by this time. As Erik had acquired a sawmill, the first two years were spent in the Norland district. A move was made to Danvers in 1906, and the following year he filed on the homestead on S.E. 24-18-18W, in the Nedrob district, but they lived for a year with Mr. A. Skog, renting his land, as this was near the homestead. It was here that Jonas, a lad of twelve, lost his life by drowning in the Rolling River which flowed near the home. He is buried in the little Bethania Cemetery in Danvers. It was