|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 392 or Next - Page 394
member of the Yorkton Skating Club. He is not too involved, just busy tagging along and learning to become a big boy.
Mr. Hagarty was an itinerant artist and portrait painter of Irish descent who drifted into the RM of Clan william in the early years of this century. He wandered about practicing his craft during the summer months, but, for some years he spent the winters with the Martin Paulson's. While there he helped with the farm chores and painted portraits of each member of the family. None of the portraits have survived.
Around 1910, he became enamored with Elvina Winnie Paulson and proposed to her. She was 16 at the time and highly indignant that "Old Man Hagarty" who was about 40 at the time, would think that she would marry such an old crock. Also her brother and sisters teased her unmercifully so she turned Mr. Hagarty down with condiderable emphasis.
After this rebuff Mr. Hagarty never wintered with the Paulson's again. However, he was no piker as, before he left in the spring he presented all the ladies in the family a total of five - with a gold watch each. Also he gave young Harry his own good gold Waltham watch. The gold watches that the ladies got are long gone but Harry still has the Waltham.
Although Mr. Hagarty did not return to the Paulson farm again he did not give up his pursuit of Winnie entirely. He approached her once again when she was in training at the Grey Nuns in Regina and proposed once again. Her second rebuff was too much for him and he was never again seen by any of the Paulson's.
Mr. Hagarty likely painted other portraits in the RM of Clanwilliam and the Wilmot's or the Greenlaw's or some of the other pioneer families may have other stories of him. He may even have proposed to other local girls besides Winnie.
HALES, HENRY AND CLARA
Henry married Clara Martin in England in 1885 and they immigrated to Canada settling in Fruitland, Ontario area. Henry and Clara and family moved west to Rapid City where he had a brother Robert Hales. On November 5, 1913, he applied for a homestead, S.W. 34-18-17W in the Scandinavia district and received the title on July 21, 1924.
Their eldest sons had also acquired homesteads in the Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam.
Henry and Clara had eight children; John Henry. (refer to Hales, John and Nancy).
Clara-deceased, James-deceased, Nelson-deceased, Dorcas-deceased, Lillian and husband Lawrence Trott reside in Minnedosa, William-deceased, Fred and his wife May reside at Rapid City.
Editor's Note: Fred passed away December 29, 1983.
HALES, JOHN AND NANCY
John Henry was the eldest child of Henry and Clara Hales. He was born May 16, 1883, while his parents lived at Hartlip, in Kent, England. In 1885, The Henry Hales family immigrated to Canada, settling at Fruitland Ontario. In 1901, the Hales family moved west to Rapid City, Manitoba, where Henry had a brother, Robert Hales, who had started a Brickyard there, at the turn of the century.
The family travelled in a Canadian Pacific Railway boxcar along with their belongings. John worked in his uncle's Brickyard and ran a draying business. He married Nancy Walker, and were the first couple married in the Rapid City United Church which was built of bricks from the Hales Brickyard.
John and Nancy applied for a homestead N.E. 33-18- 17W in the Scandinavia area on November 5, 1913, and received the title April 23, 1919.
During the 1920's, John served as a councillor for the Rur.al Municipality for seven years. He was a Fire Ranger dunng the summer months, riding 52 miles a day on horseback. He purchased two sheep from Ern Proven for $3.50 each, by the time he left the Municipality, the herd had increased to 202. During the winter months, he hauled wood from the lumber camp in the Harrison