|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 400 or Next - Page 402
and Supply Co. as egg-grader in Erickson and Elkhorn. In 1942, she acquired her Cream Tester's license from the Department of Agriculture, Dairy Branch, in which capacity she worked in Elkhorn until her marriage. (refer to Wilmot, Walter and Lily).
HALV ARSON, DAVID AND EMMA
by Astrid McLeary
David E. Halvarson was born February 22, 1894, in Asbacka, Soderham, Sweden coming to Canada in 1903 with his mother and sisters, Signe and Ellen, and brother John. His father and brother Otto had arrived the year before, and settled in Erickson having built a log cabin southwest of Erickson which is now the road to the reservation. Their home was a stopping off place for the Indians going to and coming from Erickson back to the reservation. The only way they could communicate was by sign language. When it was time for the Indians to go, Dave's mother would open the door and show them out. Many a lonely and scary night was spent alone without their father at home, who was a travelling tailor, who would go to different families to sew. At times he stayed at one home up to a month doing their sewing.
David and his brother John attended school northeast of Erickson (which was the Bergwall farm) for a couple of summers.
David met and married Emma Olea, eldest daughter of Anton and Anna Landstrom of Scandinavia, in June 1917. They raised nine children, all attending Erickson School and the Lutheran Church and Sunday School. Six children were confirmed in Erickson. They had 27 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren.
David and Emma had eight girls and one boy. The eldest being Ellen born April 15, 1918, and married Harry Armstrong of Erickson area. They have four children and live in Victoria, B.C.
Astrid was born October 6, 1919, and married Jack McLeary of Minnedosa. They now live at Ames, Manitoba and have two children.
Signe was born May 31, 1922, and married Joe Brako of Minnedosa and now live in Winnipeg. They have four children.
Lorna was born May 25, 1925, and married Eldon Shiner of Roblin, Manitoba and now live in Port Alberni, B.C. They have two children.
Ivan was born May 25,1931, and married Molly Mead Miller of Ucluelet, B.C. They now live in Ucluelet, B.C. and have five children.
Evelyn was born March 25, 1933, and married Jack West of Port Alberni, B.C. and now live in Courtenay, B.C. They have three children.
Aldean born August 28, 1935, married Stan Wilson.
They have three children, live at Port Alberni.
Clarice was born December 17, 1938, and married Holgar Lorenzen of Denmark. They now live in Port Alberni, B.C. and have two children.
Jeanette, a twin sister of Clarice, born December 17, 1938, married George Berry of Port Alberni, B.C. They now live in Port Alberni, B.C. and have two children.
After Dave finished farming in 1934 he was a foreman
in one of the relief camps at Clear Lake.
During the war Dave worked in construction at Stevenson's Airfield, now International Airport, Winnipeg. He worked at Chater, Manitoba, and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. After the war he worked on highway construction in Manitoba and also the Lac la Ronge area of Saskatchewan and other jobs in Western Canada. His highlight was working on the Hope Princeton Highway in B.C. When this job was com pleted, he moved with Ivan to Port Alberni, B.C., where he owned and operated a wood business until his retirement.
In 1951, when Dave moved to Port Alberni, the balance of his family left Erickson and moved to Van couver Island settling in Port Alberni.
In July, 1967, Dave and Emma celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with all their immediate family being in attendance.
Four years later, after a very lengthy illness, Emma passed away on July 5, 1971. Then Dave passed away on September 17, 1974. They are both buried in Port Alberni, B.C.
HAMMELL, GORDON AND MARGARET
by Margaret Hammell
The first member of our family to come to the R.M. of Clanwilliam was Gordon Stanley Hammell. He was born in Ottawa, Ontario, on May 23, 1947. While attending the University of Guelph he embarked upon a wildlife study of the Lesser Scaup Duck in this area and first came to the R.M. of Clanwilliam in the fall of 1969. He lived in a house owned by Rudy Usick on S.W. 2-17-18W from April to October of the next three years, returning to Guelph for the winters. In the fall of 1972, he and his wife, the former Margaret Elizabeth Roblin of Belleville, Ontario, purchased the former Charlie Ramgren farm, N.W. 5-17-17W from Wendell and Lori Laming. In the spring of 1973 the Hammells took up permanent residence on their farm. After two years of employment off the farm they bought four Holstein heifers in the spring of 1975 and at the time of writing are milking 15 cows. Their first child, Sally Elizabeth, was born on February 21, 1979, and their second, Kevin Richard, on May 15, 1981, both at the Minnedosa District Hospital.
The Hammells enjoy the freedom of country living and the friendliness of their new community.
HAMPSON, HARRY AND MURIEL
by Muriel Hampson
Harry and Muriel Hampson moved to the Erickson District in April 1963, with their four children: Sharon, Nancy, Ruth and Ross. We bought the Slobodian farm and our children attended Lund School the first year we were there. This was a one-room country school with one teacher, who at that time was Mrs. Mary Duncan a very dedicated teacher who treated each student as if her own. A comparison of wages and duties then and now would be of interest.