|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 399 or Next - Page 401
He was Camp Foreman at Camp I during the relief camps in the 19~0's, returning to road construction with Tomlinson and Harvey Construction on the Dawson Road, Port Arthur, ant. During the war years he was responsible for the construction of many airstrips for the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, returning to road construction on the Hope-Princeton Highway. The Alaska highway was a challenge for Otto and he was very quickly employed by the U.S. Engineering Dept. as Maintenance Superintendent on a section of the highway, making his headquarters at Mile 456, Munch Lake, B.c., where living quarters were provided. At this point Annie sold her cows and gave up her milk business and joined Otto. They remained at Munch Lake for ten years, and later moved to Snag on the Yukon boundary, returning to Erickson in 1953. He was then employed on local road construction with the Dept. of Highways on the reconstruction of No.4 with Doug. Cook, and lastly with Jim Jackson Construction on the Holland to Pilot Mound highway.
In 1944, they bought 44 acres from Adolph Tilly, Part 32-16-1SW, south and west of the railway. They sold this property to Axel Christianson in 1952. They never lived on this property after they bought it.
Annie and Otto lived in their house in Erickson until Otto passed away in 1963. Annie continued to live in her own home until her demise in 1972. Both were members of the Erickson Lutheran congregation. Annie was also a Life Member of the W.I., had played an active part in the Red Cross during the war and enjoyed knitting and sewing.
Thus ends the saga of Otto and Annie Halvarson.
Some of their dreams materialized and were fulfilled; some forgotten faster than they could be imagined. So it is with respect to their parents that Conrad and Lil are making this small contribution to the history of the R.M. of Clan william and Erickson.
Elmer Emmanual, was born on February 14, 1913. He attended school at Hilltop and in Erickson, completing his Grade Eleven. Elmer was a confirmed member of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, taking an active part in the congregation. He was a member of the Young People's Society, sang in the choir and played in the church string band. He also played in several different orchestras, playing guitar and trumpet.
He stayed at home on the farm for several years, helping with the farm work, mainly delivering milk to the residents of the village. He found employment with Harper Construction building annexes and was soon promoted to Foreman and supervised the building of many annexes and elevators in both Saskatchewan and Manitoba. He continued in this work until the early 1940's, when he enrolled in a diploma course in Agriculture, Dairy Branch, acquiring his qualifications of butter and ice-cream maker. In this capacity he worked for several years in Elkhorn, Brandon and Winnipeg.
He met Esther Lillian Backman, daughter of Swan and Gerda Backman, and they were married in Winnipeg on January 17, 1955. He returned to elevator construction with U.G.G. and continued in this line of work until he
The Otto Halvarson Family. Left to Right: Conrad, Lily, Otto, Annie and Elmer.
fell victim to cancer. He passed away in 1976. Esther resides in their home in Winnipeg.
John Conrad, was born on June 23, 1914. He attended Hilltop School for a short period of time, completing his education and receiving his Grade Eleven in Erickson No. 1366. He was confirmed into the Bethlehem Lutheran congregation in 1925, belonging to the Luther League, sang in the church choir and also sang and played the guitar in the Lutheran String Band. Conrad adapted himself to playing any musical instrument very easily and played the drums in the local orchestra. He also owned an accord ian and clarinet, which he played for his and his family's enjoyment.
As a young lad he stayed around home, helping with the many chores around the farm. He spent most of his summers making hay, which seemed an unending job. Hayland was leased far removed from home and when haying time came around Conrad would take the horse and whatever equipment he needed, a tent and a grub box, and stay until the haying was done. As he grew older he went out on road construction with his father, starting when it was horse-driven equipment and continuing until it was converted to machine power. Conrad spent very little time at home after this point in time.
In July, 1940, he married Margaret Eleanor Gusdal.
They have three children. Myrna Ellanore, born August IS, 1942; Jan, born June S, 1953, and Owen Jay, born November 20, 1961. They have two grandchildren, Robert Bruce and Debra Lynn.
Lily Kathleen, was born on June 16, 1921. She received her education in Erickson No. 1366, completing Grade Eleven, 'and was confirmed in 1935 into the Bethlehem Lutheran Church under the able instruction of Richard Odelberg. After confirmation she taught Sunday School, was a member of the Young People's Society and the Rose Buds, later re-organized as the Helpful Workers, and a member of the first group of the C.G.LT., which was organized by Miss Florence Pederson and Dorothy Ross.
Her childhood and teens were happy and carefree years. She helped around home, doing chores and delivering milk to the residents of Erickson and learned to drive the Model A. Oh! What fun she had driving it. Feeling a need for extra money, she worked after school for D.Y. Billy in the Dominion Cafe. Upon completion of high school she was employed by Brandon Creamery