This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 402 or Next - Page 404

organizations as the Farmers Union (President), Scouts (Gilwell), Air Cadets and spent 15 years with the Progressive Conservative party at the constituency level working with Duff Roblin, Walter Weir and Sidney Spivak.


by Margaret Sjogren

Anton Marius came to Canada from Norway in 1910.

Two years later Martha Marie and their three children Charlie, Burger, and Annie followed him to their home in Kipling, Nipissing, Ontario.

Anton worked on the Grand Trunk Railway and in logging camps until the fall of 1916, when they moved to the Hans. I. Hanson farm in Clanwilliam. In January, 1923, they moved to the Jim Provin farm in Danvers area, later moving to the Swanson place across from Tales School. Anton then decided to go to B.C. and Martha and children followed later, and they made their home in Port Hammond, B.C. Anton worked at the Hammond Cedar Mill at Port Hammond, B.C., lived there and both have since passed away. They had six children.

Anton and Martha Hansen.

Charlie, worked around the Erickson, Manitoba area for some time and in 1928 he married Annie Sjogren and they moved to Port Hammond, B.C. He worked at the Hammond Cedar Mill till he was called into the Army and went overseas. He returned from overseas and continued working in the Hammond Cedar Mill. Charlie passed away in 1970. Annie still resides in Mission, B.C. They had two children. Mary-Ann, born at Erickson, Manitoba, is married and lives in B.C. Bernard, born at Erickson, but spent most of his life at Maple Ridge, B.C. He was employed at the B.C. Forest Products, when he unfortunately had a car accident on September 22, 1956. Bernard was in a coma for 251 days and was recovering

when on April 7, 1958, he passed away.

Burger, was born in Sweden, came to Canada in 1912, and has since passed away.

Annie, was born in Sweden, now lives in Haney, B.C. Margaret, was born on July 29, 1913, in Ontario. She married John A/bert Sjogren. (refer to Sjogren, Nels and Anna.

Hargaret, was born August 15, 1915, in Ontario, and now lives in B.C.

Hulda, was born on April 22, 1923, in the Danvers district. She was married and lives in B.C.


-taken from "Focus on Western Manitoba" June 1973 issue

written by Beverly Chipping

by daughter Linda Warburton

Many people who have stopped in the town of Erickson for any length of time have either noticed or purchased a small, hand carved bird, which is known as a Thunderbird. They are graceful wood carvings depicting a bird in flight, and it is not difficult to see that each one bears the touch of a carving master. That master was Harold Hansen.

Harold Hansen left his native land of Norway in the spring of 1927, and arrived in Canada with the sense of excitement that every young man must feel when em­ barking on a great adventure. For several years he worked on Saskatchewan farms during the summer months and in Ontario lumber camps during the winter. In between, he took odd jobs whenever and wherever they presented themselves.

In 1936, a hard time for many, Mr. Hansen found himself in the city of Winnipeg very broke. But not a man to let minor disruptions get him down, he found em­ ployment on the farm of Mr. Melker Johnson, southeast of Minnedosa.

While at the Johnson farm, he started to carve during the winter as a pastime. He began by making trellices for flower pots, and gradually it occurred to him that two large trellices and one small one with the body of a bird would make a very interesting combination. And so he started to make Thunderbirds.

After leaving the Johnson farm, he worked for Harper Construction at which time he started to make his birds for friends and sold a few for a dollar or two. They soon caught people's attention, and it wasn't long before Mr. Hansen began receiving many requests for Thunderbirds.

At this point, another chapter opened in Mr. Hansen's life. On the 18th of April at 3:00 in 1942, Mr. Hansen married the former Sigrid Skoglund and bought a farm in the Hilltop district, east of Erickson. (For historical interest, this was originally the August Skoglund farm N. W. 28-17 -17W). Here he farmed together with brother­ in-law Mr. Harry Skoglund, worked out at various carpenter jobs, and raised his family. An interesting coincidence is that his wife died exactly 30 years later on April 18, 1972 at 3:00 p.m.

Since 1936, Mr. Hansen had carved over 2,000 birds.