|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 451 or Next - Page 453
Pastor Carlyle and Laureen Johnson.
club, as well as being employed at the Sears and In surance office. They currently live and work in Erickson, involved in the work of the churches and community.
JOHNSON, CLARENCE AND ANNE
Clarence Hannes, was born at Glenboro, March 25, 1900. He worked as a carpenter at Glenboro and later was a grain buyer at Erickson and Neepawa. He married Anne Larson in Winnipeg on December 28, 1958, who predeceased him August 24, 1969. He and Anne had a daughter Alice born in 1961.
Clarence was a charter member of the Erickson Lions Club, and active in all community affairs. Alice now resides in Winnipeg. Clarence passed away at Neepawa on September 27, 1970.
Success isfailure turned inside out.
JOHNSON, EMIL AND HILMA
by Mel and Donald Johnson
Emil Johnson was born at Skirey, Sweden. He emigrated to Peoria, Illinois, in 1900 at the age of fifteen years. He worked on a farm for a year to learn the language. Then he returned to Peoria and worked for the Avery Company.
He married Hilma Wendell who was also born in Sweden, at a place called Lyringe.
They came to Canada in 1913, with four sons, Oliver, Irvin, Melvin and Donald. He bought all 2 section of land N. 112 27-17-18W. It was raw land, no house and nothing broken. He bought it from B. Suanberg of Minnesota through a land agent at the price of $25 per acre.
We lived the first summer upstairs in the old creamery (just below the C.N .R. station) which later became Olof Olson's lumber yard. A house was built during the summer, a log barn and some land was broken. Dad had a mania to clear and break 25 acres a year which he did. Dad served as a school trustee, councillor and Reeve, Director of Erickson Co-op Elevator, Charter member of Erickson Co-op and First Chairman of the Erickson Hospital in which he died in May, 1954. Mrs. Johnson died in Winnipeg December, i960.
Oliver Johnson went back to Chicago when he was twenty-one years old. He worked in Chicago for a number of years but returned in the 1930's and opened a garage, which was where the Co-op store is now. He went from Erickson to Flin Flon, again as a carpenter, then to Vancouver, Dawson Creek and Kelowna where he died in 1981 at the age of eighty-one years. Oliver had four sons and one daughter, Floyd, Stafford, Gwendolyn, Vance and Allen.
Irvin Johnson went back to Chicago remaining there until dad retired then came back and bought the home place. He farmed only a couple of years then moved into Erickson where he had a radio and T. V. shop. He sold the farm to Mr. Miller, owner of Millers High Life Beer of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and returned to Chicago.
Irvin, died in Chicago in 1982 at the age of seventy nine years, His wife Mabel and son Billy still live in Chicago.
Melvin started in the Royal Bank in 1919, and after serving in various positions in the bank retired as manager from Rapid City, Man. They have two girls and one boy. Margaret Hughes of Calgary and Paul and Karen both residing in Winnipeg. They are all married and each have one girl and one boy. They have lived in the Winnipeg, Norwood district since 1950 and are members of Norwood United Church. Melvin passed away March 5, '83.
Donald Johnson was born at Hanna City, Illinois, in 1912. He came with his parents to Canada in 1913 and grew up in Erickson. He started school in the Scandinavia Hall as the new school was not finished yet. He stayed home and farmed with dad until he married in 1938 to Ruth Cassidy, a school teacher. She taught for six years in Erickson. They were married in Calgary and built a house and barn on S.E. 1/4 27-27-28Wl and farmed there until 1959, when they sold the farm to Ronald