This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 450 or Next - Page 452

The Carl Johnson Family. Back Row. Left to Right: Clarence. Lily. Ida. Harvey. Seated: Olga "Marcia" and Carl.

Johnson thought they had better do something about it, and on December 14, 1922, Mrs. Johnson surprised the girls and the whole town with the birth of a beautiful baby sister for Lillie and Ida and named her Olga Marcella.

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were very active members of the Erickson Lutheran Church. Mr. Johnson would get up in the middle of the night, Saturday, during the winter time, go over to the church and make a fire in the furnace to have the church nice and warm for the eleven o'clock service. He was church Treasurer for well over thirty years, and as a church delegate he was well-known throughout the Conference. Mrs. Johnson was active in Ladies Aid and the Women's Institute. She was presented with a pin and made a life member of the WI.

When Mr. Johnson decided to retire he turned his business over to his son, Harvey. In 1946, Harvey sold the hardware store to Ernie Gusdal and he and his family moved to Edmonton, Alta.

In the fall of 1949, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson closed their home in Erickson and went to Vancouver to live for the winter. They liked Vancouver so well that they decided to make it their future home. In 1951 they returned to Erickson, sold their home and belongings and returned to Vancouver. They bought a home and immediately transferred their membership to Augustana Lutheran Church, where they were faithful and dedicated mem­ bers.

Mrs. Johnson passed away on December 10, 1960, in her 80th year. Mr. Johnson passed away on January 25, 1972, in his 96th year. Their son, Clarence, predeceased them in February, 1939. They are survived by four children, four grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.

JOHNSON, CARLYLE AND LAUREEN

by Rev. and Mrs. C. Johnson

Carlyle was born in Albert Lea, Minnesota to Oswald and Viola Johnson who were involved with mixed far­ ming at the time. He grew up in northern Iowa graduating from Rockford Senior High and Mankato State College. In 1969, he entered Wartburg Theological Seminary graduating four years later, being ordained as a Lutheran pastor in St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Nora Springs, Iowa. He was installed at Cabri, Saskatchewan in Septembr of 1973, his first parish, where he served for six years.

In 1979, he accepted the call to serve Erickson Lutheran Parish and moved to Erickson that fall. This is a two point parish so he serves the Immanuel Lutheran church in Clanwilliam also. In December of 1981 he married Laureen Karton, who was actively involved with the church and its functions, 4-H, curling, the local art

451