|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 482 or Next - Page 484
The buildings were log and they had four horses, a few cattle, a pair of small pigs and some hens. The machinery was a plow, harrows and seed drill. As time went on more land was broken up for crop, more machinery bought and an increase in livestock and poultry.
The methods of transportation improved to a buggy, democrat and car in the summer and in the winter to a sleigh and jumper. The telephone came to their district in 1910 and was a great convenience to all the residents. In 1918, they went into partnership with neighbours on purchasing a steam engine and threshing separator which was used for over twenty years. He was the tank man on the outfit. In 1930, the old log stables were replaced with a new barn. In approximately 1945 hydro came bringing in a new era of living - much appreciated and enjoyed by all.
They attended All Saints church and later when All Saints joined St. Marys, they went to Clanwilliam. He was on the vestry and was people's warden for many years. He was very interested in the work of the Canadian Bible Society for over forty years. He was trustee of Lakelet school for many years and later secretary treasurer. He belonged to the Canadian Order of Forresters lodge, was a director of the Farmers and Pool elevator and a member of the U.F.M. She belonged to the W.A. and the Hospital Aid.
In 1950, the farm was divided with Jack having the N.W. 25-16-18W and Bernard the S.W. 36-16-18W. In 1951, Mother and Dad retired to Clanwilliam. Mother passed away in March, 1952 and was buried in All Saints cemetery. Dad enjoyed curling and took a keen interest in all community affairs. In 1960, his daughter Margaret came to make her home with him. In 1975, he went to the Minnedosa Hospital and passed away in the Personal Care Home in September. He was buried in All Saints cemetery. They had five children; Violet, Jack, Margaret, Rose and Bernard.
Violet married Ed. McFarlene and they farmed N.W. 36-15-18W. They had two daughters; Edith and Irene.
Jack married Mabel Traub and farmed N.W. 25-16- 18W. They had a family of a daughter Tessie and sons Robert and Kenneth.
Margaret was a teacher and married Raymond Girling. Rose went east to Ontario and married Harold Tomlinson. They have a family of two daughters and a son; Barbara, Judy and Bryan.
Bernard married Phyllis Cook and they farm S. W. 36- 16-18W. They had two daughters; Audrey passed away in 1982 and Kathy married Bruce Pearson. There are twenty great-grandchildren.
LARIVIERE, ADELARD (ED.)
Ed. was born in Woodridge, Man., in 1909. At a very early age he left home to work in wood camps cutting railroad ties. His family moved to St. Boniface, Man. Not being able to find work he rode the freight cars from Winnipeg to Quebec City and back. The Province of Manitoba created a road construction program for the many unemployed men and Ed. worked throughout the
province on the highways for eleven years. In 1932, as winter stopped the construction, he had become acquainted with the farm people in the Erickson district and went to work for William Soltys.
The government paid the men $5. a month in winter, the farmer supplied room and board. In the summer the farmer paid $12.50 a month. Ed. was a fiddler. He was kept busy playing at many Ukrainian weddings, barn dances, Westmount School, Scandia Hall in Erickson and at house parties. In the days before radio neighbours gathered to play cards and dance, supplying their own amusement. Ed. became a well-known figure, carrying his fiddle under his arm and joining in these activities. He came to work for William McMillan in 1935. He and Ruby were married in June of 1936.
by Lawrence and Edna Sjoberg
Chris was born on September 30, 1898, on a farm outside the town of Hjarrning, Denmark. He was one of a family of four children born to Johannes and Ingar Larsen. He is the only surviving member of the original family and the only one to seek his fortune in the new land (Canada).
Emil and Chris Larson.
Chris grew up on the farm but took jobs in different parts of the country for a number of years - one of these was railroad building. This latter one made him a good living but Chris was ever open to adventure and a challenge and in his mind a new thought was turning round - what could the new world offer him! The thought rankled his mind until one day on a visit to Hjarning he stopped in at the immigration office to make some inquiries about travel to Canada - was there a possibility of a boat leaving shortly? As it turned out there was one in just a few days leaving for England with connections from there to Canada. There was one hitch, he must obtain a visa in order to leave the country and the army