This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 483 or Next - Page 485

had a hold on his movements - he owed them a few days of service still and the immigration officer said he must clear things with them first. Chris argued that he could not clear that in time to catch his boat - surely the officer could do something for him. He did - he granted him a one year visa which meant he must return to report back in exactly a year's time. Chris wound up his business at home, said his good-byes and set sail. He arrived in Halifax harbor on the S.S. Antonio on April 6, 1929, from there he boarded the train for Winnipeg, Manitoba and from there a new life opened up for him. He did not return to renew his visa in a year nor did he really ever intend to, and he never heard from the immigration officials back home regarding the matter. Nevertheless, Chris was too busy making a living for himself from the time he arrived to give it much thought or let it bother his conscience. On arrival in Winnipeg, his first thought was a job. In the railroad station was an ad appealing for farm workers in the Regina area, so Chris headed west. He got a job on a farm northwest of that city. It wasn't a happy summer and fall - work was long and hard and the board poor. Chris stayed regardless, as jobs were scarce and language was a problem. Fall found him back in Winnipeg looking for another job. While there he stayed at a place called The Danish Home on Smith Street. One day a man came looking for workers. This man was of Jewish descent, one of three brothers who owned a large farming operation of three sections down by Deloraine. Chris described this man as appearing a tough looking fellow - but he (Chris) was eager for a joband decided to put his trust in him and went along. He spent that winter looking after stock and learning English from some young lads who worked along with him. In the summer he worked on the land. Chris was pleased with the treatment he received from the three brothers and by fall he had accumulated savings, enough to venture out again - this time Alberta was his goal but little did he know that fate was going to step in and change his plan. After saying good-bye to his employers at Deloraine, he headed back to Winnipeg for a few days prior to heading west. Chris received the surprise of his life one day, for as he was walking down the street, who should he meet but a cousin, Emil Larsen, from back home! Emil, unknown to Chris, had been over for some months but was out of work and his cash was getting low. Chris set about helping to find him a job. Remembering his good fortune at the railroad station at the time of his arrival, the two men headed in that direction but unfortunately there were no job postings. What was to become of his cousin? Chris had enough savings to take care of himself but did not want to leave Emil alone without an income. At the station they met a Mr. Hans I. Hansen of Clanwilliam who happened to be there to catch a train. Mr. Hansen was a farmer and part time cattle buyer at Clanwilliam. He had just been into the city with a load of cattle and was now returning home when he met the two Danish boys. On hearing of their plight he offered them free lodging in an old house that he owned on a farm nor­ thwest of Clan william until they could get themselves established. Chris and Emil took him up on the offer and followed him home. The old house proved to be mighty cold - the two men moved into the upstairs of it and set


up housekeeping (the downstairs was too dilapidated). Later they were joined by another countryman, Knut Sarenson. The three spent the winter there - in the spring Knut and Emil got work on farms around Clanwilliam for a meagre wage but Chris stayed unemployed for a year. He never did get to Alberta.

In the year 1931, Chris rented a quarter of Government land N.W. 9-17-17W and proceeded to set himself up farming (an uphill struggle with many discouragements in the 30's). However, Chris was.a resourceful fellow. Along with farming the land he milked cows, hunted and trapped and came out on top. He never owned a car, one of the early discouragements for this was the fact that he did not have a proper road to his property for the first twenty-three years and by that time, he didn't wish to bother with one - his mode of travel was by horses and later tractor. Chris added two more quarters to his farm operation after buying his first rented quarter. Chris retired from farming in 1967, selling out to Murray Johnson of Clanwilliam.

No longer a farmer but still much preferring the country life, Chris had his eye on the vacant house on the N.W. 6-17-17W (formerly the home of the Chris Fredrickson family) but now owned by Les Synchyshyn. . Chris made a deal with Les to buy the house and a few

acres of land surrounding it - here he continues to make his home. Chris's retirement years have been spent in trapping, visiting his neighbors, playing cards, reading, T. V. and travel. He has made several trips to Denmark where he has enjoyed visits with his nieces and nephews and friends and the old haunts of "yester-year".

Chris is much appreciated in the community for his good humor, hospitality and friendship. Over the years he has learned to cook a great cup of coffee! - a treat he insists upon extending to all his guests.


by Edith Larsen

Erhard Emil, son of Peter and Christine Larsen was born September 7, 1907 at Hemesta Hjorehering, Denmark. He left his homeland, parents, nine brothers and sisters and immigrated to Canada, arriving at Halifax April 19, 1930. He first worked on a farm in Saskatchewan, then Winnipeg and from there to the Bethany area where he worked on the farm for Mark Madill. After Mark Madill's death, Emil worked for his son William.

In 1935, Emil married Edith Marie Frederickson, daughter of Christian and Christine Fredrickson. She was born August 9, 1915 in Winnipeg.

They rented and resided on a farm, three miles east of Erickson from Edith's uncle Theodore Neilson. Five years later, the family moved to Erickson. Emil was then employed by Harper Construction, building Elevators and Bridges for four years. In the fall of 1943, was the beginning of his ice making and caretaking career. He was employed by the Erickson Curling Club for twelve years and during some of this time, he was the Outdoor skating rink caretaker and ice maker.

In 1956, Emil was hired by the Civic Caledonian