This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 490 or Next - Page 492

interest in foreign missions and were involved in forming the Bethel Mission Society even before the congregation came into being. In 1909, only six years after coming to Canada, John died on Good Friday, April 9, at the age of sixty-six, one day after the birth of his first grandchild, another John. His was the first grave in the Bethel Cemetery.

Jakobina, as she went about her work, often composed poems in Norwegian, some to the melodies of favourite hymns. Later these were published into a booklet called "Hyrderosten" (The Shepherd's Voice). The abundance of wild fruit available was a source of great joy to her as she loved her berry picking excursions, especially the moss berries in the nearby swamp. They raised sheep so spinning, knitting, weaving and quilting kept her hands busy through the years.

In 1926, Albert, who had been the sole operator of the farm for some time, decided to discontinue farming, and with his mother and two sisters, Sophie and Anna, moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, joining Martin and Cora who were already residing there. There Jakobina passed away in 1937 and was buried beside her husband in the Bether Cemetery in Danvers.

Their family were:

Theodore (Ted) born 1885. (refer to Lee, Theodore and Emma).

Peter born 1886. (refer to Lee, Peter and Mayme). Martin born 1888. After elementary school he spent three years, 1890 to 1903, at the Glenwood Academy in Glenwood, Minn. His old school reports indicate he was an excellent student and succeeding years show he preferred accounting and legal advice and correspon­ dence for clients to farming. He opened an office in Erickson, had a Massey Harris Implement Agency and shed on the property which later became the Chinese restaurant. The small Royal Bank building on Main Street was also his. For a time he was secretary-treasurer of the R.M. of Clanwilliam. He moved to Minneapolis in 1923. Later he and his brother Albert owned and operated a wood working shop where they made cabinets, store fixtures, mouldings, etc., until his retirement. He passed away in 1960.

Sophie born 1889, became the homemaker for the family through most of her adult life. After the death of her sister Carrie, she cared for the four children until their father's remarriage. She was a dedicated worker in the church especially as a Sunday School teacher and she also served as organist. While still in Canada she spent one summer teaching Indian children on the reservation at the northwest end of Clear Lake. One of these children became the chief of the reserve at Elphinstone and she kept contact with him until her death in 1980.

Ole born 1891. (refer to Lee, Ole and Clara).

John Albert, born 1892 became the mainstay of the family farm. He owned a fine pair of driving ponies which were his pride and joy. At his auction sale he was pleased to have them purchased by Paul Paulsen. With the move to Minneapolis he worked at different jobs until going into partnership in business with his brother Martin until retiring in 1957. In 1942, he married Mildred Snow. They enjoyed many winters in Florida and became proficient shuffleboard players. They currently reside in

the Ebenezer Senior Citizen's Home in Minneapolis.

Anna born 1893, besides helping at home, studied for a time at Brandon College. She worked in Winnipeg for the T. Eaton Co. and also as a telephone operator until the move to Minneapolis. She worked as a nursemaid for several years and later was employed by the Sears Roebuck Co. until she retired in 1959. At this time she and her brother Martin and niece, Evelyn Lee, enjoyed a summer trip by ship to Norway, the first of the family to visit the old homes of their parents. In 1974, with her sister Sophie, she moved into the Ebenezer Home. She took the initiative in having their mother's book of poems translated and printed in the English language, an accomplishment much appreciated by the younger generations. She passed away suddenly at church on Easter Sunday, 1982. She, as well as Martin and Sophie, are buried in the Bethel Cemetery with their parents.

Carrie, born 1894. (refer to Strand, Oscar and Carrie). Marie born 1896, lived only a few months, passing away that same year.

Cora born 1898, after completing her Grade VIII at Tales School obtained her high school in Minnedosa and then attended the Dauphin Normal School, graduating in 1916. She taught school for four years at Dauphin, Glenella and Tales School in Danvers. She then went to Minneapolis, Minn. and trained as a nurse at the Deaconess Hospital. She did private nursing for a time until she accepted a teaching position for nurses. After ten years in this work, she married George Bye of Hastings, Minn., in 1945 and they still live in their home there. They have enjoyed three trips to Norway and several winter seasons in Florida, Arizona and Hawaii.

John Lee Family. Back Row, Left to Right: Peter, Theodore, Martin. Second Row: Ole, John Sr., Sophie, Jakobina, Albert. Front: Cora, Anna, and Carrie.

Ask no more oj another person than you are ready to give.