|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 489 or Next - Page 491
but they ended up teaching him Norwegian. In 1921, he was hired on c.p .R. but when the depression neared, he was laid off. On December 8, 1929, he married Nellie Starzuk of Sandy Lake. At the time of her marriage she was working for the Logan family. They began their married life in the Scandinavia district, first living for six months on the old Block farm, then they bought a farm through tax sale for $500 on the northeast side of Otter Lake. The halfway house was also situated there. The original barn burnt down, and in 1931 Ingvald, along with his brother, tore down the halfway house to build a new barn. They farmed for about ten years, and the stones he used to talk about clearing off the place, were just incredible. During this time five children were born to them. The family moved back to Minnedosa when the railroad picked up again, and he was called to go back to work about 1939. The farm was taken back for Tax Sale as he could not make the payments and raise a large family as well. He became a fireman and later an engineer, and when railroad went on strike, Ingvald, or I.C. as he was affectionately called, had to go to Kenora, Ontario to work.
He retired in 1965 and in 1973 moved back to Min nedosa and resided at the Town View Manor. Nellie Lee passed away suddenly of a heart attack on September 13, 1978. Ingvald continued to live there and in June of 1979, married Vera McFayden. She passed away in February of 1981. Ingvald finally moved to Winnipeg in January of 1982 and now resides at East Centennial Lodge run by the Salvation Army. Seven childreri were born to Ingvald and Nellie.
Anne Marie, June 23, 1930. (refer to Kingdon, William
Ronald James, August 27, 1932. John Russell, August 24,1933. Geraldine Margaret, July 29,1934. William Richard, April 29, 1936.
Anne can remember when her sister Geraldine was
Nellie and Ingvald Lee.
born, she was so tiny, she weighed only 2 lbs. 3 ozs. and they had to keep her alive and warm by keeping the big wood stove going all summer. They slept in a granary that their dad had hauled up to the house. Two more children were born there, Sylvia and David, in 1945.
LEE, JOHN AND JAKOBINA
by the Family
From the melting snow and ice cascading down the mountainsides to form Hafslo Lake in Sogn, Norway, the longest fjord in the land, the Sognefjord, begins its plunging journey to the North Sea. In this beautiful but rugged area on a small mountainside farm John Throndsen Lee was born in 1843. At the age of forty with his brothers he emigrated to the prairies of western Minnesota, U.S.A. That same year from the Nederberg Valley at Syvde, Sunnmore, on the west coast of Norway, Jakobina Nederberg, born in 1857, also came to Min nesota accompanied by her brother Peter. (refer to Berg, Peter and Olivia). At this time a General Barrett, a surveyor and an army officer of the American Civil War, had acquired a large tract of land in Donnelly Township in Stevens County, extending into Grant County. It was claimed at one time that his holdings were near twenty thousand acres. This meant the hiring of a large number of men and jobs for the new immigrants who were arriving constantly. Here at the Barrett Ranch both John and Jakobina found employment, met and were married in 1884, and began farming on their own.
During the next fourteen years, ten children were born to them. In Norway families used the name of the farm on which they resided. A son, on leaving, took his father's name and added the suffix "son". Thus, John Lie became John Throndson. As was so often the case in this country names were Anglicized and "Throndson" became "Thompson" and "Lie" spelled "Lee". It is interesting to see in some of the early family and school records that all three names had been used. On emigration to Canada the family name became "Lee". They were all baptized in the Kongsvinger Lutheran Church near Donnelly and the three eldest confirmed there. John Lee donated the tract of land for School District No. 56 and here several of the children received their elementary education.
Times were hard and after experiencing hail damage to their crops for three successive years, they decided to look elsewhere for land. The promises of cheap land in the wooded country in Manitoba led them to emigrate to Erickson in the Danvers district in 1903. They purchased S.W. 16-18-18W from Olaf Stone and homesteaded N.W. 4. Here the whole family was involved in establishing one of the better homes in the area. Many a church picnic was held at the Lee farm and it was often a gathering spot for the young people on a Sunday af ternoon.
With the growing number of Norwegian settlers in Danvers, the Bethel Lutheran Church was organized in 1907. John and Jakobina, with their family were charter members, four of them, Sophie, Ole, Albert and Anna being in the first confirmation class. They also had a keen