This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 500 or Next - Page 502

serving on the executive.

Joe is a member of the Ukrainian Catholic Church at Erickson and was chosen as Resident Secretary, representing Erickson, Rackham, Ozerna, Scandinavia and Newdale.

Joe's parents lived with him for several years. Pauline passed away in 1967. Charlie (Carl) passed away in 1970.

Joe hopes to retire soon, probably to his cottage at Ditch Lake, where he spends his free time.



by Emma Carlson

N.P. Lithander left Jamtland, Sweden, for Chicago in the early nineties when that city was preparing for the World Fair of 1893. The job opportunities seemed limitless. Having had training as a carpenter he obtained work in that trade. He later described the frustrating conditions of the unemployed, in this large city, which was caused by the mass lay-offs of men when the project was completed.

He was married in 1895 to Augusta Wallquist, a Swedish girl, born in Chicago. Having a natural talent for painting, he studied in an art school to train for a future in that field. By 1898, they left Chicago for Denver, Colorado, where his main occupation was work in art studios.

In 1907, they moved to Winnipeg, remained for a couple of years and then went back to the U.S.A., set­ tling in Minneapolis, Minn. While there he suffered a severe illness that nearly took his life. On his doctor's advice he entered a sanatorium to recuperate. At this time, his wife and three sons, Carl, Nels and Frank, came to his sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Erik Hall, in Scandinavia, and he later joined them there. Being a victim of asthma, he found the higher altitude beneficial and settled on the Skog farm on Sec. 23, 18-18. The arrangement was that they take care of Mr. Skog for his remaining days. He was with them for eleven years. This was not an unusual arrangement in those days as there was no public aid for the elderly. Here three more children were born, Lawrence, Helen and Verna.

As his health was never good, Nils Peter left the farm work to his growing boys and occupied himself with painting and the occasional building job. It was a novelty to have an artist in the community and many families had photos enlarged and home scenes from the old country painted. He also painted the altar pictures in the Lutheran churches in Scandinavia, Danvers and Clan­ william. One of his paintings hung in the Tales School where the young Hall children attended. When one of the older pupils said to the teacher that Anna Hall's uncle had painted it, she¬∑ replied with some scorn, "Oh, no, that was painted by a real artist." A real artist in these backwoods was unthinkable for that city girl. He also was a violinist and had several pupils. He made violins as well and there are still some of them around.

They moved from the Skog farm and for three years rented the Albert Erickson farm on the North edge of

Erickson. Here Mr. Skog died in 1922, and with the older boys now off on their own, they moved to Brandon the next year, where he continued painting and making violins. After a couple of years they returned to Chicago, where he passed away in 1936. Augusta died suddenly in Sweden in 1954 during a visit there. The family members were now all American citizens, but his paintings are still a reminder of their years here.


by Thora Lofgren

Henry was born Halvard Persson on October 4, 1862, at Benteby, Varmland, Sweden. He was taking his military training when he wished to be released to emigrate to the United States. He came to Spruce Hill, Minnesota in 1888 and changed his name to Henry Lofgren. Christine was born on March 26, 1858, at Vitsand, Varmland, Sweden, and she came to Spruce Hill, Minnesota, in 1888. On October 4, 1890, Henry and Christine were married at Moorehead, Minnesota.

They farmed at Spruce Hill until 1907 when they moved to Canada, homesteading at Foam Lake, Saskatchewan. They later bought and operated the Northern Restaurant until they moved to the Westmount district in 1919. Henry was a blacksmith and gunsmith by trade and continued with this kind of work and other types of work, until ill health made him retire. Henry passed away on October 28, 1938, and Christine on July 16, 1945. They are buried at the Erickson Municipal Cemetery. They had five children:

Hulda was born in August, 1891, and educated at Spruce Hill, Minnesota. Hulda married Charles Colson in March, 1915, at Foam Lake, Saskatchewan. (refer to Colson, Swan and Anna).

The Henry Lofgren Family. Back Row, Left to Right: Ester, Hanna, Hulda. Front Row: Ernest, Henry, Richard and Christine.