This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 503 or Next - Page 505

The Ed Landry Family. Edith, Lillian, Edna and Edward.

blacksmithing. They moved to Erickson in 1913, and rented a blacksmith shop on Main Street from Hartwig Hanson. Ed. lived with Fletchers until he was able to get two small rooms above the Post Office, which was situated on the lot that Barney's Service Station is now located. They built a house on First St. south, known as the Freko house. During the years in Erickson he was made Provincial Police Officer, Bailiff and Truant Officer.

They worked hard for the Temperance Hall, selling shares, putting on picnics and dances to raise money for their lodge, this being their main source of entertainment.

As there were no hospitals and a doctor not always available, Edith was called on to deliver many babies.

In 1917, they sold their house to Gust Freko and bought a farm, N.W. 5-17-18W, now owned by great­ grandson, Ron Mcinnes, and built a house and blacksmith shop there.

Edith's dad, who still lived in Chicago, wanted them to go back as his health was failing, so in 1925 they went back to Chicago. Ed. got a job at Federal Paint and Varnish and became ShOP Foreman. However, his health failed, and as his father-in-law had passed away Ed. decided to return to Canada. They arrived in Erickson in 1930, bringing their aunt, Maryann, with them. She lived with them until her death in 1931.

They bought a house from Victor Nystrom and when Mrs. Landstrom passed away they took Wanda in to live with them. Edith took in boarders and worked at the bath-houses in the Park for eight years.

One day Mrs. Londry had a salesman call, selling unbreakable lamp chimneys for coal-oil lamps. He dropped it on the floor and rolled it on the floor and it didn't break so she bought one and put it on her lamp. A few days' later, after using the chimney, she had some friends in so she was showing them this unbreakable lamp chimney. She dropped it on the floor and to her dismay it broke in many pieces. After being heated it had lost its temper and was very breakable.

Ed. passed away in July, 1935. Edith lived in Erickson until 1944, when she went into Winnipeg and lived with


her granddaughter, Laurette Mayer, until her death in 1949.

Edward and Edith Londry had two daughters, Lillian and Edna.

Lillian married Harry Lajeunesse of Winnipeg. They had two children, Loretta and Raymond.

Edna, their second daughter, was born in Minnedosa on January 24, 1901. She attended school in Minnedosa, Willowgrove School and Erickson. She spent most of her time as a child with her dad in the blacksmith shop and on his trips to the country by horse and buggy when he was on police duties. On December 20, 1916 she married Thomas Mcinnes. (refer to Mcinnes, Tom and Edna).


by Herman and Mary

Herman Ronald, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jack J. Ludwig was born at Broadview, Saskatchewan, on November 13, 1914, attended school there and Winnipeg, Manitoba. He operated a Wood Yard business in Winnipeg and then served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War.

On May 7, 1943, Herman married Mary A. Usick in Winnipeg. Mary is the daughter of Nicholas and Nellie Usick of the Rural Municipality of Harrison.

In 1953, Herman started the Erickson Auto Wrecking business, new and used parts. In 1954, he purchased Tony Holmlund's Cockshutt Implement business and property and continued the auto wrecking business which

he continues to operate to date. _

Mary was a member of the Erickson Ladies' Curling Club and a W.I. member.

Herman and Mary have one son Ronald:

Ronald Kenneth, born April 23, 1944, in Winnipeg. He attended school at Erickson, Outlook, Saskatchewan, and Gretna, Manitoba. Ronald was active in football, hockey and baseball. He also played drums on a local band for some time. In 1968, Ronald married Angela Andrews. They have a son Brian and a daughter Heather. Ronald, Angela and family reside at Calgary, Alberta, where they have a Dry Cleaning business.


by Mabel Lundin

In the year 1928, Arvid Lundin left his home in Nasaker, Angermanland, Sweden, at the age of 19 years. In July he boarded the Swedish American Liner Grip­ sholm at Goteborg, had a seasick journey across the Atlantic Ocean, landing at Halifax. Then on west by rail. The train had a derailment in Ontario bushland and was stranded for three days. The passengers spent their time picking blueberries. Finally the train was back on the tracks heading west. Arvid was to meet his brother Osker and wife Alice at Shaunavon, Saskatchewan. He got a job for a farmer during harvest and fall work. In November, they all decided to go to Erickson, Manitoba. The brothers bought the N.E. 21-17-18W where Osker