This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 536 or Next - Page 538

Viola is a charter member of the Erickson Women's Institute, a life member of the Manitoba Hospital Auxiliaries Association and presently is President of the local Hospital Auxiliary and an active member of the Lutheran Church. Both Linus and Viola were ardent curlers, enjoying this winter game to the fullest. Both worked hard to promote projects to raise funds for the erection of both the curling and skating rinks.

Linus was appointed Postmaster at Erickson in 1944, at the time of his father's retirement and he continued on as Postmaster until 1971. Viola also worked at the Post Office as part time assistant for many years.

On March 29, 1981, Linus passed away at the Erickson Hospital and is buried in the Municipal Cemetery. Viola continues living in the home they built in 1933.

Viola and Linus Miller.

Their two children are:

Lois Elaine born November 14, 1933, received her Elementary and Collegiate education at Erickson. She was confirmed in the Erickson Lutheran Church of which she was a member of the Luther League, Sunday School teacher and organist for a few years. Lois was a 4-H clothing member and a C.G.I.T. member. She received a secretarial course at Success Business College at Win­ nipeg. On July 24, 1954, Lois married Bruce Holmlund. (refer to Holmlund, Tony and Amanda).

Ronald was born August 16,1937, at Erickson. He was confirmed at Bethel Church, Danvers, completing his schooling in 1956. Ronald then received a Diesel Mechanics Diploma and was employed at Flin Flon and Brandon. Ronald married Sheila Yeo-Cross on October 7, 1959, at Russell. Sheila taught grade 5 and 6 at Erickson in 1958-59. Ron and Sheila's wedding guests from Erickson had a rather historical and certainly humorous journey home. Twenty-three people from Erickson were forced to stay overnight at the hotel in Oakburn (two rooms) because the roads were blocked due to the unusual snowstorm. October 8, they all caught

the last passenger train that ran on the Russell-Neepawa line back to Erickson. They had to journey back to Oak burn a couple of days later to pick up their cars. I remember Pastor Oscar Johnson saying it wasn't very funny when the only piece of dry clothing he had was a necktie and he was sharing two rooms with twenty-three others. Ron and Sheila's eldest daughter Holly Rhonda was the last baby born December 31, at the Brandon General Hospital in 1960. In June, 1983, she will graduate from the Wascana Institute in Regina where she has received her registered nurses' training. Melodie Joe, born November 11, 1966, and Chris Wyman, born December 17, 1968, are still at home completing their schooling and participating in many sports activities. Melodie Joe was one of ten Saskatchewan gymnasts on the Modern Rhythmic Gymnastics Team, representing Canada at Intergym in Leonberg, West Germany in March, 1983. Modern Rhythmic Gymnastics will be recognized as an Olympic sport for the first time at the 1984 summer Olympics, This made being on a Canadian team quite exciting for Melodie and Grandma Miller who still lives in Erickson. Ron works as Chief Maintenance Planner for International Mining Corporation Canada in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan. The family live in town but their "hobby" farm in the Qu' Appelle Valley is a welcome retreat year round.

Left to Right: Holly, Sheila, Chris, Ronald and Melodie Miller.


by Albert Moad and Irene (Moad) Erven

Mr. and Mrs. John Ashton Moad (nee Jane Clark) came west to Manitoba in 1879 from Coldwater, Ontario and homesteaded N.E. 12-16-18. They travelled the Red River on a scow to Winnipeg, where they bought a team of oxen and a cart on which they piled all their belongings, and started west to look for good land. While crossing Stoney Creek this side of Neepawa, the 100 pound sack of flour they had bought in Winnipeg, slipped off into the water. They rescued the bag and were later surprised that only a thin crust around the inside