|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 535 or Next - Page 537
the first boardinghouse in town, later to be expanded and known as the Commercial Hotel. The location was on the same site as the present Nordic Inn. On January 1, 1914, Henry Miller was appointed postmaster at the Erickson and district federal office. He built the Post Office at the corner of Railway Avenue and First Street South (the same building now occupied by Reg Nylen, accountant). Mr. and Mrs. Miller continued operating the hotel until the year 1932. This business was an important service to the early settlers in the community, to train men, who stopped in for meals. it was also a home for teachers in the village, and a stopping place for commercial travellers. Mr. Miller continued as postmaster until his retirement in 1944. Linus Miller who had worked with his dad as assistant postmaster since 1934, was then ap pointed postmaster and continued until his retirement in March 1971. Mr. and Mrs. Miller and family were charter members of the Erickson Bethlehem Lutheran Church, built in 1915. They were also active in all community activities and local Board of Trade and Mary Miller was a member of the "Relief Society" set up during World War I.
Mrs. Miller died in October, 1943, and Henry on May 6, 1947. Both are buried in the family plot in the Erickson Municipal Cemetery.
Edgar was born in Swede Lake, Minnesota, on Sep tember 15, 1894, and came to Canada with his parents in 1904. He had attended school at Swede Lake and then attended school here at Scandinavia and at Erickson.
He joined up with the Canadian Armed Service in 1915 and served overseas with the 78th battalion during World War I. He was wounded at the Battle of Vimy Ridge and was hospitalized in England and returned to Canada at the end ofthe war in 1918.
He filed on Soldier's Settlement land in the Crawford Park district and farmed there for almost twenty years. In January of 1926, he married Margrethe Christianson of Denmark. In 1941, Edgar and "Margaret" moved into Erickson and Edgar was custodian at the local school for a number of years. In 1953 the Millers moved to Brandon where Ed did some carpentry work.
Edgar died in Brandon in 1972, after several years of poor health. Margaret Miller still resides in Brandon at the Green Acres housing units.
Wyman was the second son of Henry and Mary Miller.
He was born at Swede Lake, Minnesota, on May 24, 1897, and came to Canada with his parents in 1904. He attended school at Scandinavia for a couple of years and then transferred to the Erickson school in 1908.
He joined up with the Canadian Armed Services in early 1917. After his discharge from the service in 1918 or 19 he returned to Erickson. He farmed with his brother Edgar for a few years, then he went out working at carpentry jobs with elevator building gangs in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. He also did carpentry work with Olov Olson, Gotfrid Johnson and John Anderson (all car penters) on many of the older buildings at the Wasagaming townsite In Riding Mountain National Park.
He later owned the farm immediately north of Erickson and operated a small mink farm there and later it was a chicken and hog farm. When the change over
from the old board sidewalks was made he was foreman on a work gang to build the new cement walks. He was a keen sportsman and did a lot of fishing and hunting ever since he was a very young man. He enjoyed many fishing expeditions to northern Manitoba with his cronies. He loved to travel to new places and had many trips north to the Yukon and Alaska with Annie and Otto Halvarson and south to the southern states with Edith and Roy DeJersey.
He was a member of the Erickson Lutheran Church, a charter member of the Erickson Legion Branch No. 143, a member of the Fish and Game organization, and was affiliated with Ducks Unlimited when they were active in this district.
Wyman died April 9, 1980, and is buried in the family plot in the Erickson Municipal Cemetery.
MILLER, LINUS AND VIOLA
by Viola Miller
Linus Wallace was the third son of Mary and Henry Miller, born on March 4, 1906, and was the only child born in Canada to the Miller family to grow up. He attended school in Erickson until a teenager and was his dad's assistant at the Post Office before and after school hours. He also enjoyed being "helper" at the farm with his brothers during the holiday seasons. Being nine years younger than Wyman, he was the general chore boy at the farm and always enjoyed mounting his pony and running the necessary errands. In 1927, he took a short course at the University of Manitoba and then was employed with the Manitoba Department of Agriculture, Dairy Branch, as a cream grader. He worked during the following seven years at many different creameries in Manitoba - at Cartwright, Ashern, Moosehorn, Neepawa, Brandon, Souris, Winnipeg and Ericksdale. On January 7, 1933, Linus and Viola Delgatty were married at Gilbert Plains, Manitoba. Viola who was born on February 16, 1903, was the eldest daughter of Robert and Margaret Ann Delgatty, Viola received her education at Gilbert Plains and was a graduate of the Dauphin Normal School of 1925-26 with a second class teacher's certificate. Her first teaching position was in the Primary room of the Erickson school. Her second year was in the entrance to high school classroom at Erickson, teaching grades six, seven and eight. Other teaching points were at Gunton and Clanwilliam, Manitoba.
It was during the fall of 1933, that Linus got a home in Erickson and he started full time work with his dad as Assistant Postmaster.
Linus and Viola have been active members of the Village and community through the years. Linus was a member of the governing committee of the Village before its incorporation. He was active in the Chamber of Commerce, was a member of the Village council and the Erickson Hospital Board for many years, also a member of the school board before it became part of the larger Rolling River School Division, a Charter member of the local Lions Club and a long time Honorary member of the Canadian Legion Branch No. 143 and a lifetime member of the Erickson Lutheran Church.