|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 54 or Next - Page 56
farmers asked was turned down by Mr. Mahoney and he wondered why we could not continue as before. Peterson told him that the directors had decided to resign unless we came under the Pool Elevator system and asked him to name the best price they could pay for the property, and they did. $3500 was the price for the elevator, flour shed and equipment.
We called a general meeting of the shareholders and after hours of discussion the farmers decided to sell.
The officers of the elevator were as follows: President P .K. Peterson from 1915 to 1919, President - Wm. McMillan, from 1920 to 1926, Vice President - Wm. McMillan from 1915 to 1919, Vice President - Claus Haralson, from 1919 to 1926, Secretary - C. Bengtson, form 1915 to 1916, Secretary - Carl Miller for 1917, Secretary - Allan Anderson, 1918 to 1919, Secretary - P.K. Peterson, from 1920 to 1926, Agent - P.O. Lee.
ERICKSON POOL ELEVATOR
by Norval Lee
The Erickson Pool Elevator commenced operation in the fall of 1926. The Farmers' Elevator which had been purchased by the Pool, proved unsuitable and had to be demolished and replaced.
Peter O. Lee was the first grain buyer, serving a short term. Later in 1926, Ernest Forsberg was the buyer. In the early fall of 1933, the Pool Elevator was destroyed by fire, was replaced and in operation by December, 1933. All this time a balloon annex was built for temporary space. In 1944, Ernest Forsberg resigned and Percy Warrington became the agent. At this time a residence was erected on First Street North. The members felt this would be an asset in obtaining buyers. The first Annex was built in 1953. As a youngster, I recall the long lines of trucks waiting to unload grain when the new facility opened that fall.
During the early forties, farmers were producing more grain and a need of more space was evident. At this time an annex was erected for temporary space, but it was not replaced until 1965.
Nowadays with big trucks and better rail service there aren't the line-ups that were at that time. Also grain isn't stored at the elevator for as long, but is hauled out with the continual turning of the stocks of grain. When Clarence Johnson retired in 1965, Adam Wright, who had been here earlier as a helper, came. At this time the new south annex was built and in 1971 a complete renovation of the old elevator was done and a new fifty ton scale, dust equipment and a new office were added. During Adam Wright's stay the M.P.E. moved into handling farm supplies and the fertilizer shed was built in about 1967.
In 1969, the membership of the Erickson Pool voted to join the direct membership of M.P. Elevators. In 1972 M.P.E. purchased the Federal Elevator System formerly Searle Elevators, thus Erickson became a one company town. When Adam Wright retired in 1974, Maurice Hogeland assumed responsibility as manager until 1982,
when he took a position as fire inspector for the Pool Insurance. At this time Byron Mason moved to Erickson as manager.
In 1936, Claus Haralson became a director of the Manitoba Pool Elevators for one term. There have been several active members who served on the board over the years who should perhaps be mentioned in this account but since there isn't an accurate record of who they all are, we hesitate to mention any.
First Erickson Transfer - 1931 built, owned and operated by John T. Wickdahl.
by John Gustafson
In 1931, John Wickdahl felt there was a need for a Transfer business in the area. He was issued the third Public Service Vehicle Licence in Manitoba. The licence was to serve Erickson, Onanole, Clear Lake, and the surrounding rural area to and from Winnipeg. With the increase of livestock for market, the local Creamery producing butter and the opening of the Clear Lake townsite summer tourist business, the need of a Transfer business was evident.
John built a new Transfer Garage and home on Third Street South in Erickson. A trip to Winnipeg on the gravel roads would take up to eight hours one way.
In 1942, John Wick dahl sold the Erickson Transfer to Ernest andPhilip Gusdal and in 1946, the Gusdal's sold to Albin E. Gustafson, who had in 1943 already pur chased the Brandon Franchise from Conrad Halvarson. Then Albin sold the Transfer building to Jack Cutter and Trevor John and it was used for their John Deere Im plement Dealership. In 1947, Albin built the present Transfer Garage and living quarters on Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Main Street with Thomas D. Carter, Onanole as the contractor.
In 1958, Albin sold to Pete and George Gushulak and