This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 560 or Next - Page 562

1914 and Fridolf Ernest (Fred) was born in 1916 at Hilltop. My grandmother lived with us. In 1917, my parents bought the Bolin homestead of 1890, S.E. 19-17- 17W. This land was not developed very much and much work had to be done.

There were many bad storms. Once my dad was caught in one. As he was taking a "short cut", a wind and thunder storm came up suddenly. Huge trees fell in front of and behind him. He arrived home exhausted and out of breath and we were thankful for his safety. Mother had influenza in 1918 and was very sick but with care from grandma and neighbours she recovered. Alex, Fred and I attended Hilltop school which was a one-roomed school, heated by a large wood stove.

My grandmother, Ingeborg Nyquist later moved to a cabin "styga" on the Pete Nyquist property. It was about a quarter of a mile from our house. We would take a "short-cut" through the bush and hay fields to visit with her and "Faster Martha" and her black terri or dog, Peo. Our social life was built around church and school ac­ tivities. My parents were members of the Hilltop Baptist Church. We attended Sunday School and church there where Rev. and Mrs. Hindorff served for many years. December 26th was usually the Sunday School concert and on June 24, "midsummer", there was an ice-cream social. Mother was a member of the Ladies' Aid Society and Dad was a school trustee and attended business meetings at the church. At Christmas Dad, Alex and Fred would cut a Christmas tree which we later trimmed. On Christmas Eve we would have coffee and dainties in the afternoon, lutefish and rice pudding for supper and then we would open our gifts. On Christmas morning we attended "Julotta" at church. Since there were no telephones, mother and Mrs. Olson, our neighbour, would put up a flag if they wanted to exchange messages or needed help. Mother baked all our bread including knacher bro (delicious hard tack), made cheese, churned butter, picked rose hips and made juice from them. Mother believed in "waste not, want not". Dad made skis and sleighs for Alex and Fred. They enjoyed using them gliding over hard drifts. One day coming home

Amanda and Charles Oberg.

Olga, Fred and Alex Oberg.

from school after having climbed the highest drift, I lost one of my high boots in the drift and had to walk home 1/2 a mile without my boot but grandma's wool socks kept me fairly comfortable. One year, my dad, being a good painter, went to Chicago to paint to supplement the farm income. When dad returned from Chicago, he brought a "big roll of funny papers" and we all went wild over these comics which were shared by the Nystrom kids.

In November, 1928, we moved to Minnedosa, ac­ companied by Grandma Nyquist. Dad established a painting and decorating business which he carried on for approximately 30 years.

Grandma Nyquist passed away January 28, 193<r.and was buried in the Hilltop cemetery. Mother passed away July 12, 1957, and father passed away August 23, 1960. They were both laid to rest in the Minnedosa cemetery.

Alex worked at painting and Decorating in Minnedosa and then moved to Calgary. In 1942, he joined the army and on his discharge joined the Canadian Pacific Railway. He worked in Minnedosa and Thunder Bay, retiring after 34 years. Alex married Margaret Gibb in 1949. They have one daughter, Darlene, now married to Arnold County. They have three children, Margaret, Cheryl and David. They all live in Thunder Bay.

Following the move to Minnedosa, I continued my education at Minnedosa Collegiate and then College in Winnipeg. I worked for the Unemployment Comm­ mission for 10 years. In 1950, I married Charles P. Fry of Winnipeg. We have 5 children, Brian is married to Doreen Appleyard of Calgary. They have one child, Michelle and live in Golden, B.C. Brenda married Barry Palmer of Winnipeg and have two children, Jennifer and Jason. Karen married Allan Plesh of Winnipeg and have two children, Tommy and Jamie. Harold Fry lives in Winnipeg. Kristina married John Durham of Winnipeg. Charles, my husband, worked for the Empire Dray and Express and retired in 1978. Fred continued his education in Minnedosa, joined the CPR in 1937, then enlisted in the army in 1942, serving in England and Europe. On his discharge in 1946, he returned to the railway where he