This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 565 or Next - Page 567

Alice was born on November 18, 1917, at Danvers.

During the war, she worked as a riveter and clerk in a store at Portage la Prairie, as a Nurse's Aid at Erickson Hospital, and the Post Office. She moved to Brandon and was a cook at restaurants. She resides in Brandon, Manitoba.

Luella was born September 13, 1919, at Erickson. She worked at the Royal Alexander Hotel in Winnipeg as a housekeeper from 1936 to closing of the hotel. She also worked at the Sheraton-Carlton Hotel until 1980. She resides in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Lawrence was born on November 27, 1921, at Erickson. He joined the Armed Forces in 1939, in the Winnipeg Rifles. Lawrence was wounded during the war. He passed away June, 1946.

Edwin was born April 9, 1924, at Erickson. He joined the Armed Forces in World War II. When he returned home in 1947, he married Louise Hogarth of Birch River, Manitoba. He was employed at the Erickson Post Office, transferred to McDonald, Portage and Grandview where he was Postmaster for fourteen years, retiring in 1982. They had six children: James, Kathleen, Larry, Frank, Debbie and Katherine. Edwin and Louise reside at Carrot River, Saskatchewan.

Henry and Helen Olsen.


by Mabel Korberg

Ingebrigt Olson came to Canada from Bergen, Nor­ way, in the early 1900's. He came to H.I. Hanson's at Clanwilliam and worked as a hired hand. He was on the building committee of the Lutheran church in Clan­ william when it was built in 1912.

He later bought crownland S.W. 9-17-17W where he farmed. He was the community blacksmith and many a horse he shod and many a neighbour visited there while they waited for plow shares and cultivator shovels to get


lngebrigt Olsen with two nieces/rom Norway.

sharpened. He was a friendly and kind man who lent a helping hand where he could. He came to our home almost every week as my mother (Mrs. Frederickson) sold him many a pound of homemade butter and many loaves of homemade bread. He had his own special recipe for bannock. My brother Harold spent many a Saturday at Ingebrigt's catching gophers or just visiting. Gopher tails sold for 1<1: each. Ingebrigt was a great lover of animals. His one dog was named Fanny and was always close behind him at every move he made. There never was a rib showing on his horses and cows.

He had the misfortune of having his home burn down and he lived in a granary for a summer and with the help of neighbours soon had a small new house. He always seemed to have bachelor friends around, some I remember living in their own shacks in his yard where Carl Thoren, who later lived with him in Clan william after he sold the farm. Another one was Soren Gabrielsen (Bicycle Sam) as he was called by everyone. He was quite a man, never said much, he also came from Norway, worked for farms in the Bethel district. He always rode a bicycle. He never talked about his past but he loved music and would sing if one got him in the right frame of mind. He spent his last years in Clanwilliam and passed away there.

Ingebrigt had a niece who came from Norway to visit.

On her second visit she took him back there and he spent his remaining few years there. Ingebrigt had a brother Ole who also came to Canada. He bought a farm in the Otter Lake area, S.E. 1O-18-18W. He got the urge to move on and went to B.C. and he became a fisherman and spent his remaining days there.

Toiling, - rejoicing, - sorrowing, Onward through life he goes;

Each morning sees some task begin, Each evening sees it close;

Something attempted, something done, Has earned a night's repose.