This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 580 or Next - Page 582

christened on the same day and by the same parson that performed the wedding ceremony. The Wileys had two girls, Alice and Shirley. They lived in Regina until 1933 when they moved to Vancouver where the family grew up. Elvina (usually called Winnie) went back to nursing duties in the Vancouver General Hospital for a period of ten years in the 1950's. T.W. Wiley died in Vancouver in 1981 at the age of 94. Elvina still lives there.

The Martin Paulson Family. Back Row, Left to Right: Winnie, Harry, Wally. Front Row: Helga, Martin, Andrina and lngeborg.

Walburg grew up in the community and went with her father to Vancouver in 1920, where she worked for the B.C. Telephone system. In 1939, she married Tom Finden and went to live in Rapid City, South Dakota. Tom died in 1958, and Walburg moved back to Van­ couver where she died in December of 1977.

Martin Henry, or Harry as everyone called him, grew up in the community where he was born. He knew everyone in the district and was a pleasant companion to many of the young people in the area. When his father sold the farm he worked for Myers Petersen in the garage in Clanwilliam for about four years. During this period he distinguished himself by eating one dozen hens eggs and a goose egg for breakfast one Easter, a feat that has been pretty hard to live down. In 1924, he rejoined the family in Vancouver and spent the rest of his life in B.C. He worked in Trail for a few years then drove logging trucks and lumber trucks both in the lower mainland and on Vancouver Island. Later he worked for the water­ works department of the City of Kelowna for 20 years before retiring in 1965. He has one son Norman, who is the City Manager at Gold River, B.C. His first wife Hattie, died in 1966, and in 1969, he married Ethel White of Vancouver. They live in Burnaby, B.C.

PAULSEN, PETER AND OLENA

by Olga Hall and Stella Nylen

Peter Andreas born 1871 family arrived in the Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam in the spring of 1905. Dad had moved to Donnelly, Minnesota, from his native Norway at the age of sixteen. While in Donnelly, he met Olena Hjelmeland born 1877 who had arrived from

Norway with her parents at the age of seven. They were married in 1898, in a Norwegian Lutheran Free Church. They rented land near Donnelly and farmed there for seven years.

Dad and Louis Strand heard of this area in Canada where Norwegians were settling and decided to go north to try to acquire some land. Dad purchased the S.E. 7-18- 18W and Louis Strand purchased the northeast quarter of the same section. They returned to Donnelly to pick up their families and belongings. The Paulsen family at that time consisted of mother and father and four children, Anna, Sigvald, Paul and Albin, who was one year old. Mother's parents Mr. and Mrs. Abel Hjelmeland had left Donnelly in 1903, and settled in this area.

Dad and Mr. Strand decided to move their horses, cattle, machinery and household effects in two rented boxcars to Minnedosa. The men travelled in the cars with their belongings to take care of the horses and cattle. The families travelled by passenger train. There they were met by Mother's brother Rasmus. He took mother and the four children to grandpa and grandma'S house located on his farm. Uncle had to make another trip to Minnedosa to help bring the horses, cattle and other effects to the farms. The folks stayed with the grandparents until a shelter was built on S.E. 7-18-18W for the family and animals. This was a long shed with horses and cattle at one end and the family at the other. Dad was away alot, taking trips to Minnedosa for supplies and cutting logs. During the long nights, how happy mother was when she could hear the horses through that thin partition, chewing and moving around. It was real company for her.

When dad first drove the horses and wagon to our home the trees were so close that in order to turn around, he had to unhitch the horses and turn the wagon by hand. The Strand's lived on the quarter section north of the folks and through the years they worked together on many projects.

Grandfather transferred the rights to his homestead N.E. 6-1S-1SW to my mother, my father completed the requirements for receipt of title. Clearing land for crops must have been back breaking as it was all done with axe and grub hoe. The bigger trees were removed with chains and horses. Oh yes, I remember the dynamite that was used.

As the years progressed, six more children, Rudolph, Ludvig, Olga, Harold, Richard and Stella were born to the family. The babies were born with the aid of mid­ wives. There was a hospital and doctor in Minnedosa, but no way to get there in a hurry.

There was a little log church north of home that was used for worship. This church was very important to the early settlers. It was good to spend a time in God's house to hear His word, sing His praises and then to meet and visit with neighbors. In 1907, a Lutheran Free Church was organized later the church was built on the P.O. Berg farm. The settlers worked hard to get the logs cut, lumber sawed and the church built. This church is still standing and used occasionally. The church, grounds and cemetery are well kept. The cemetery is the final resting place for many of our ancestors and pioneers who settled this area and is still being used today for their descen-

581