|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 579 or Next - Page 581
the youngest of the family of seven and the only one born while they were at Erickson.
Margie took her elementary schooling at the Erickson elementary and and Hazel M. Kellington School, Neepawa and attended the Neepawa Area Collegiate Institute for her secondary schooling. She was active in sports, and is a lover of horses and other animals.
Margie was living and employed at Erickson, Manitoba, and is presently touring Europe.
PAULSON, MARTIN AND "ANDRINA"
Martin August was a pioneer in the RM of Clan william. He was born in Oslo, Norway, in April, 1856 and came to Minnesota, USA with his parents in 1872, at the age of 16. He was trained as a carpenter partly in Norway and partly in Minnesota. In 1876, he came to Canada and worked at his trade in the construction of the CPR. During the last three years of this period he helped to build the trestle bridges in the Rockies that made it possible for the CPR to operate in the mountains. At this time he also visited the West coast and liked the area. In 1885, he returned to Duluth, Minnesota, and married Trina Andrina Hermanson on April 2nd.
Trina "Andrina" Hermanson was born in Bergen, Norway, on Oct. 4, 1860, and came to Duluth with her parents as a young girl. Little is known about her girl hood except that she had some nursing and midwifery training before her marriage. In later years she confided to one of her granddaughters that she had only known Martin Paulson for six weeks before she married him. Also that she was attracted by his lovely wavy hair. Alas, even before they came to Manitoba, Martin was nearly bald.
During the interval 1885 to 1893 Martin applied for and received a homestead in the RM of Clanwilliam on the shores of Willow Lake. This quarter section was mostly bushland with trees large enough for Martin to build a log cabin which was the Paulson's first home on the homestead. Enough land was cleared to prove the homestead - approximately four acres - and other quarter section of cleared land adjacent to the homestead was purchased.
In 1888, Martin and Adrina accompanied by their daughter Ingeborg, now six months old, moved into the homestead. They came by train as far as Brandon then by ox team, the wagon was built by Martin, to the Greenlaws, the nearest neighbors to the homestead - four miles away. The Greenlaws made them welcome and provided help to get them settled.
For thirty-two years the Paulsons farmed the land they came to in 1888. In 1891, a sister to Ingeborg was born called Helga. Three years later Elvina came along and in 1898, Walburg was born. With four girls the Paulsons were desparing of having a boy when in 1900, Martin Henry (thereafter called Harry) was born.
Both Martin and Adrina worked at improving their farmstead and took an active part in community life. Andrina assisted at the birth of many of the babies born in the community. She was called out day or night to
expectant families and generally remained for two weeks or so with the new mother, helping with the farm and household responsibilities as well as caring for the new mother and baby. Occasionally she was paid $10.00 for this aid.
Martin built several fine houses in the area. He also built his own sleigh and constructed the first bridge over the Rolling River some five miles from the farm. In addition, he built a fine new house on the farm to replace the original log cabin. The family moved into the new house a few days before Elvina was born. This structure built 90 years ago is still called the "New House" by the remaining family.
In 1920, Martin who was now nearing 65, sold his farm and moved to Vancouver taking Walburg with him. At that time Andrina made a trip back to Bergen to visit relatives and remained there for nearly a year. Upon returning to Canada, she visited with her daughters and friends in the Clan william area for a few months then went on to join Martin in Vancouver. Martin Paulson worked at his trade as a carpenter off and on in Van couver but was mostly retired. He died there on Dec. 24, 1936. Andrina lived with Walburg in Vancouver until 1939 when Walburg got married. She then lived with Elvina for several years finally returning to Clanwilliam where she lived with Ingeborg for awhile. She died while visiting with her daughter Helga in Souris, Manitoba in 1951. She was 91 years old.
All of the Paulson children got their education in the Crocus School.
In 1910, Ingeborg married Jim McMillan, one of the neighbor boys, and they spent their entire lives in and around the RM of Clanwilliam. They were well known to most of the residents of the municipality. They had two children, Norman, who married Lillian a local girl and spent his life in the Minnedosa area and Melbourn, who died at the age of seven. Jim died in 1978 and Ingeborg in 1981.
Helga married George Hempstock in December, 1911.
George Hempstock was born in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1880 and came West as a young man to work on railway construction and in the harvest. He liked the prairie and wintered over with the McMillan and other families. He later filed for a homestead on Katy Lake. When Helga and George were married they rented the Colson farm for five years while clearing and proving the homestead. Their two oldest children, Ethel and Jim were born here. Later his father-in-law Martin Paulson helped George to build a house on his homestead. Another son Charles, named after Charlie Colson who died with the flu, was born when they lived in their own place. In 1922, the Hempstocks left the farm and after living in Clanwilliam for a year or so where another son Robert, was born, they moved to Souris and so passed out of the community.
Elvina was an ambitious girl and managed to get enrolled as a student nurse with the Gray Nuns Hospital in Regina, in 1916. She graduated as a Registered Nurse in 1920 and in the same year married Thomas William Wiley who hailed from Belleville, Ontario, but was working for the J.1. Case Company out of Regina. The wedding was held at the Paulson farm just before it was sold in November, 1920. Helga's son Charles was