This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 595 or Next - Page 597

while taking grades 8 and 9 at a one-room rural school at Otter Lake. It was her first experience of living in a rural setting. She enjoyed gardening and horseback riding. There were more snowstorms in those days and Anne and her friends would trudge knee-deep through the snow to school. It was a welcome sight to see a neighbour come along in a sleigh box or even a van, pulled by two strong horses, and it didn't take long for the school children to pile in. During the good months, Anne enjoyed riding her bicycle to school at Otter Lake and later to Erickson High School, except when it rained, and the bicycle wheels got clogged up with mud. Then you had to look for a stick to push the mud out or you would end up carrying the bike.

In 1949, Anne began her teaching career at Clarksville School, near Neepawa. She was one of 500 students sent out into rural schools to teach on a permit obtained after completing a six week summer school course at Normal School in Winnipeg. She took her grade 12 at Erickson, and one year at the Normal School in Winnipeg. Ten years of teaching were at the following schools:

Clarksville, Lund, Little Clanwilliam, Erickson, Dauphin and Winnipeg.

Anne married Don Chisholm of Nairn, Scotland, in the Erickson Lutheran Church, on August 20, 1960. Donald and Murray were born in Winnipeg, before Don's Banking career took him to Thompson, Manitoba where Sheila joined the family. A short time in Regina was followed by a return to Winnipeg, where the family still resides. They have been fortunate, therefore, in managing to keep contact with friends in the Erickson district, and, most importantly, allowed them to enjoy

for a number of years, visits to the farm, a dream come true for Grandma and Grandpa Prosak.


by Shirley Steele

John Purves was born on December 19, 1905, at Rapid City, Manitoba. His mother passed away in 1913, and he lived with the John Hales family. He moved to the Scandinavia district with the Hales' family in 1914 to N.E.33-18-17W.

He was married in 1930 and moved to the Hilltop district in 1936 to the N.E. 24-17-18W (former Charlie Hill farm) where he presently lives. He lived in the log farm house, built in 1891, until 1964, when he purchased a new home. The log farm house was torn down by Harvey Pengelly and moved to his farm in the Scan­ dinavia district where he rebuilt it and lives in it at the present time.

John has three children, Marie lives in Winnipeg and married Wesley Gabel and has one daughter, Annette.

Percy lives in Vancouver, B.C. and has two sons and two daughters, Stuart, Rodney, Mary Ann and Joanne.

Shirley lives in Erickson, Manitoba and married Don Steele and has one daughter Clarice and one son Glen. (refer to Don Steele)


John Purves Home.


by granddaughter Lily Wilmot

Axel August was born in Angerman Bjarta, Sweden, January 1, 1856. He married Anna Brilta Nelsson born September 19, 1858, in Mjoldon Vibggera, Sweden.

Grandfather was a sailor, first mate and ship car­ penter. All his early life was spent at sea, having sailed to many far off countries. With all his travels, his heart was set on one day moving his wife and siblings to Australia. In 1891, in his mid-thirties, he decided the time was right to leave his sailing life and make the big move to a new land.

On their arrival in Liverpool, they were persuaded to go to Canada rather than Australia. Grandad never having seen North America and with his sense of ad­ venture, thought it a splendid idea. After a long and rough voyage across the Atlantic and their journey by train to Winnipeg, they were told about a Swedish set­ tlement north of Minnedosa.

Having finally completed their journey by sea and by rail, transportation was arranged to "New Sweden" for the family consisting of Axel, Anna, Axel Jr., Em­ manual, Albert and Beda along with all their worldly belongings and Grandfather's ever precious seaman's chest full of carpentry tools and memorabilia of their life in Sweden. (Grandchildren Conrad Halvarson has some of the carpentry tools and Lily Wilmot has his leather brass bound Bible bought in Liverpool in 1875). His seaman's chest was recently sold at an auction.

The trip to New Sweden was long and uneventful. The arrival and sojourn at the Immigrant house was full of excitement, meeting new friends, learning a new language and culture. Olga Marie was born May 21,1892.

It is not known how long the family remained at the commune, but it is reasonable to believe that the family remained until 1894, when a permanent home was established for them. Recorded in the records in the Lands Branch Office reads as follows: N.E. 30-17-17W procured from an Olof Bernstan, 1891.

On inspection in 1892, they had acquired 4 head of cattle and in 1894 a hewn log house 16 x 18 value of $75.00, 2 stables 20 x 22 and 12 x 14 value of $50.00 and two miles of fence. Grandfather was now a Bon-fide settler, securing his naturalization papers in 1895 and the