This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 619 or Next - Page 621

in Winnipeg and had come home to help her father who owned the Erickson Lumberyard. I often wonder what her parents thought when I was asked to her home, me being a farm boy. And also the surprise of my parents when 1 brought her to their home, wondering how a girl from town would be prepared to live on a farm with no conveniences.

I doubt that Elvera realized the large relationship she was becoming a family of as it was only she and her sister Mary (now Mary Booth Koping). But little did I realize the large relationship her mother had, both in Canada and in Sweden, also her father's family who all lived in Sweden. It has been a real enjoyment to meet and visit with them on our two trips to Scandinavia.

We were married September 24, 1949, and have seen many changes since. Olav and 1 ended our farming partnership, dividing the machinery and the land we had rented together. 1 kept the 1949 I-ton truck which we took to the U.S.A. for our honeymoon.

In the spring of 1950 we traded the truck for a tractor.

That meant we either walked to town or went by tractor. 1 also traded my new accordion to dad for an old cultivator and the harrows. I believe this accordion is still in use at my sister's home. At this time 1 had farmed a 1/2 section but with a new tractor we rented another 1/2 section. I had worked the winter of 1944 in Winnipeg doing construction work and the winter of 1945 1 drove a horse in the coal mine at Beinfait, Saskatchewan.

From this money 1 was able to purchase some cattle, this being the original start to our dairy herd. In 1950, we milked two cows (enough for an 8-gallon can) and this was shipped to Minnedosa Creamery. By the time the hydro came to our farm we were milking ten cows by hand. The hydro certainly changed our life-style and our dairy at this time is more push buttons than pitchfork. How quickly one becomes dependent on the Public Utilities. 1 am the only one of the 6 boys who remained a farmer and its a decision I have never regretted.

It seems only natural that 1 got involved in community organizations as I often accompanied my father to many meetings he was associated with. The United Milk Producers was formed in 1957 by the Milk Producers in the Minnedosa-Erickson area and I was a charter member of this organization. Other organizations included the Manitoba Farmers Union, now called the National Farmers Union. Since 1961, I've been a director of the Erickson Local Manitoba Pool Elevator and served 10 years as chairman of their sub-district meetings. A member of the former C.C.F. and now the N.D.P. party. Also a member of the Manitoba Dairy Co-op having served as a director and also as president. Was a trustee on the Westmount, Erickson and the Rolling River School Boards for twenty-five consecutive years. And at the present time am serving as the Reeve of the R.M. of Clanwilliam.

We are the parents of three children.

Darcie Maryann was born on September 2, 1950 and attended school at Westmount and Erickson and ob­ tained her Bachelor of Teaching degree from the Brandon University. She spent one year as an auxiliary teacher at King George school in Brandon and one year at the George Fitton School under a university teaching


program. She taught from 1973 to 1982 in a two-room school at Tilston, Manitoba. And while there she met and married a local boy Peter Herbert. They farm southwest of Tilston and have a family of two children, Amanda Stacia born on June 23, 1980 and Dean Thomas born January 14, 1982. Wade Olov was born February 26, 1953. He began his schooling at Westmount and con­ tinued on at Erickson after consolidation. After com­ pleting his grade twelve he chose to become a farmer. He farms together with his father and they reside on the home farm. On September 25, 1976, he married Janice Woloshen, daughter of Sadie and Basil Woloshen. They have three children, Emil Wade born May 2, 1977, Bradley James born March 20, 1978, and Stacey Lynn born August 25,1982.

Spencer Emil was born July 4, 1961. He obtained his education at the Erickson School and was very active in sports, especially in hockey and baseball. He is presently a transport truck driver for Hammond Transport at Deloraine, Manitoba.

Emil Shellborn Family - 1972. Left to Right: Spencer, Darcie, Elvera, Emil and Wade.


by Frances Yanchycki

Roman was the youngest son of Mathiew Shindruk and Sophie Mizemchuk, born in 1910. He attended Sandy Lake School. He then worked for farmers in the area and also at lumber camps. His hobby was playing the violin, playing for dances and weddings. On November 19, 1935 he married Lena Scotty. They lived in Toronto for a while.

Later he and a friend, Bill Sianchuk, bought a half­ section (NW 19-17-18) south of Erickson. Roman farmed until his death in August, 1954, and is buried in the Erickson cemetery. Roman and Lena were members of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. They had adopted two children, Michael and Shirley.

Michael married Linda Roy and they live in Thunder Bay with their two children, Michael Jr., seven years old, and Kirl, five years old. Shirley married Johnny Lendurn