This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 621 or Next - Page 623

John Sil/en Family and Home. Left to Right: Alfred in Car, Margaret,

Mary, and Mrs. Sjoberg. .

Mother continued living on the farm until 1940, when a little house was built for her beside Winnie's and John's home where she was quite happy. In 1953, she was not able to care for herself and went to live with Ellen and John. She died in 1956 - with the help of the rest of the family it was a short three years.

Mother and Dad are buried in the Scandinavia Cemetery.

Erik was five years old when he came to Scandinavia with his parents. He attended Norland school. As soon as he was able to work, he was needed at home to help with the farm work.

Erik never married, he remained at home except for short periods when he worked for farmers until 1914, when he moved to his own homestead. In 1920, he went to Oregon, U.S.A., where he worked for a short period. He spent the latter years of his life in Ontario working in camps. In 1957, he worked for Ben Cum musky looking after cabins at a summer resort at Kenora. He also helped to clear the land where Pine Crest Home was built - where he finally became a resident and made many friends. He died March 1st, 1976, and is buried in Scandinavia Cemetery beside his mother and dad.

Mary was three years old when she came to Scan­ dinavia with her parents. She attended Norland School and was confirmed in Scandinavia Lutheran church. She did domestic work in various places including Winnipeg and Brandon and was cook in Lady Minto Hospital in 1924. She took a course in dressmaking and tailoring under the leadership of Pearl Alexander. This proved to be a great help to the rest of the family. I recall how proud Winnie and I (Ellen) were going to school in our new winter coats Mary had made for us.

Mary married Walter Bentley (Veteran of World War I). Walter worked for C.P.R. After their marriage they went to Bredenbury, Saskatchewan, where Walter was the C.P.R. pump man. They were very happy and made many friends but in 1944, Walter died suddenly.

Mary settled in Clanwilliam where she boarded teachers and continued to be interested in church, Hospital Aid and Women's Institute. She died in 1968. She and Walter are buried in Clanwilliam Cemetery.

Elida Christina was born in 1890, the first Canadian baby of the Sillen's. She attended Norland school which was open only three months during summer. My first


teacher was Mr. McGillvary. I recall the last day of his term when he made "pull toffee" which was a treat for us. I was confirmed in Scandinavia Lutheran Church in 1911 under the leadership of Pastor Zaar. I did domestic work in Erickson, Minnedosa, Brandon and Winnipeg. In 1919 and 1920, I was employed at Brandon College. The dining room consisted of twenty-seven tables - six to each table. Carrie Oberg and Annie Hemmingson were waitresses with four male students as helpers. I recall the sound of the gong operated by Freda Oberg (Clark Hall maid). I have many happy memories of those days. I also had the opportunity of taking night classes.

I married Carl Ramgren in 1929. In 1969, we sold the farm and bought our home in Erickson. We both enjoyed having company. In 1971, my cousin, his wife and daughter Louise visited us from Sweden. I always wanted to see my parents' homeland so in 1971, I made the trip alone, owing to Carl's health, he could not go.

We celebrated our 45th Anniversary in 1974, with many friends and relatives. Carl passed away in 1978. I continued living in our home until 1981 when I moved to the Parkland Home.

Alice Winnifred was born at Scandinavia on July 7, 1899. After completing her schooling in Norland school she, with her parents, sisters and brothers, moved to the Hilltop district in 1914.

Winnie went out working for different families in the community and she also worked for a time at the Lady Minto Hospital at Minnedosa before her marriage to Berger Sjoberg.

Fred was born on his parents' farm in the Norland district, July 14, 1900. He attended school there but quit school at a very early age to help out at home. At the age of 12, he remembers being sent with the team of horses to Clanwilliam, a distance of 16 miles. He was to deliver a load of grain. Fred worked as a hired hand for John Oman, Theodore Johnson and Mark and Alex Madill.

In 1927, Fred started working for Harper Construction Company of Winnipeg. He continued his employment there until 1962, first working as a labourer and in later years becoming a foreman. His work included building and repairing elevators and annexes in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta. In 1931, he purchased the S 1/2 of 13-17-18 which was all bush. That same year, he built his one room log home which still stands today and is used as a shop.

In 1937, a 2-room house was built with the help of Frank Pollon and in 1944, this house was enlarged to its present day size.

On October 14, 1938, Fred married Helen, daughter of Chris and Christina Frederickson.

Helen, after leaving school, helped at home, especially with the milking of cows. She also did domestic work for the John Booths and Ernie Simmons families.

Fred and Helen have a family of three: Zelda, Margaret and Marvin. Zelda attended school at Hilltop and Erickson. In August, 1958, I began clerking for Lowers Drugs, later known as Alexanders Pharmacy, and remained employed there until February, 1964. In March, 1964, I married Stanley Firby of the Cameron district and moved to his farm (now known as Fairmount Farms) northeast of Basswood. We have four children;