This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 622 or Next - Page 624

Marlin, born July 7, 1965, finished grade 11, Minnedosa Collegiate and is now home farming with his dad. He is starting a herd of Registered Black Angus Cattle known as Fairmount Angus. Activities include 4-H, curling and fishing.

Mark born, May 23, 1967, is in grade 10 at Minnedosa Collegiate, taking Power Mechanics. Activities include curling, ski-dooing, downhill skiing and fishing.

Marla born October 22, 1969, is in grade 8 at Tanner's Crossing. Activities include 4-H, Jr. band and piano.

Melanie, born March 13, 1971, is in grade 5 at Tan­ ner's Crossing. Activities include Jr. Band and piano.

Margaret attended school at Hilltop and Erickson. She was a waitress at the Riverbend Cafe in Minnedosa for a year before going to Winnipeg to become a telephone operator for M.T.S. She worked there for seven years. In 1966, she moved to Windsor, Ontario, where she worked for Bell Telephones for two years. In October, 1968, Margaret married Ronald Sweet of Ear Falls, Ontario, (formerly of Lacombe, Alberta) and they remained in Ear Falls for two years. In 1970, Ron decided he wanted to pursue a teaching career so they moved to Calgary, Alberta, where Ron attended University. Subsequently, time was also spent at Edmonton University. Later, they moved back to Calgary where Ron now teaches and Margaret, besides being a homemaker and a mother, works part time at Alberta Telephones. Margaret and Ron have two children: Tim, born January, 1974, is in grade 3 and activities include; Cubs and music, Carolyn, born January, 1976, is in grade 1 and activities include Brownies and music.

Marvin, whose strong point was never school, left at an early age, a farmer to be. In winter, Marvin could never get home fast enough from school to get to the bush to cut wood until dark. Over the years, he has built up a herd of Simmental and Charolais cattle. For off farm employment, Marvin has operated bulldozers and has driven trucks hauling logs. In 1968, Marvin purchased the Ronald Johnson farm S.E. 1/418-17-17 and N.W. of 8-17-17. Later sold S.E. 1/418-17-17 to Dennis Peterson and now rents it back. In 1977, he purchased N. W. 13-17- 18 from Walter Peterson. Since purchasing this land, Marvin has cleared and broken most of it. His recreation interests include golfing and curling.

Editor's Note: Fred passed away December 22,1983. Ellen Margaret. My brothers and sisters paved the way for me! After finishing high school, I trained and received my R.N. certificate from Portage General Hospital. I nursed in Lady Minto Hospital for a short period before going to St. Mary's Hospital, Rochester, Minn., where Canadian nurses were in great demand. After completing a year there, I did special nursing in Erickson and Clanwilliam districts before going to Canora Hospital in Saskatchewan. In August, 1930, I got leave of absence to go home and nurse my dad who was confined to bed. After his death I went back to Can ora until 1931, when I married John Wilkinson, a blacksmith, also a widower with four children - George, Christina, Robert and Nanette. We lived in Clanwilliam until 1960, when we moved to Minnedosa due to John's health. I'm still in our little home and John's family are a blessing to me.

Ado/ph. At the age of eight years in 1914, John Adolph Sillen moved with his parents from the Scan­ dinavia district to the Hilltop district. They settled on S.W. 7-17-17 where the land was cleared and the house was built that is used today by Adolph and his family.

In 1938, Adolph married Emily Marsh from the Bethany district. They were married in the St. John's Bethany church. After a short honeymoon to Winnipeg, they returned to the farm to start their life together. Those early years were different as they didn't have any hydro or telephone. They raised chickens, selling the eggs for 7 cents a dozen. After many hours of milking cows, they would receive $2.00 for five gallons of cream. Horses did the work of the tractor as well as served as a means of transportation, especially in the winter when the roads were blocked for days. A common sight was a team of horses hitched to a van with smoke flowing from the chimney. Many stories are told of those long cold trips, hauling cordwood from the north to Minnedosa, leaving early in the morning and returning late at night. The horses were always well-groomed and you could hear those polished bells for miles. Entertainment consisted of listening to a battery-operated radio, visiting the neighbours, playing cards and attending school or church functions. During the war years, Emily and the neigh­ bour ladies met for hours doing work for the Red Cross. In 1952, the coal oil lamps were replaced by electric lights and hydro was installed on the farm. This made life a great deal easier.

Adolph and Emily were blessed with five children.

Yvonne (died in 1949 at the age of eight), Marlene, Dianne, Brian and John. They all received their early schooling at Lakelet school as their father had done years before. In the early years, the family attended the Scandinavia Lutheran Church. After the closing of this church, each one of the family became members of the Erickson Lutheran Church. Marlene, now of Winnipeg, married John Mutch and has a son Kevin and a daughter Myra.

Dianne, now of Winnipeg, married Bill Wickstrom and has a daughter Tracy.

John, now of Winnipeg, is Adolph and Emily's chosen son.

Today, 45 years later, Adolph and Emily still live on the farm. However, they have passed the trials, tribulations and triumphs of farming onto their son, Brian. They have remodelled the farmhouse and adopted some modern farming techniques, but the friendly at­ mosphere of the past still exists today.

Ellis, the youngest son of John and Margaret Sillen and his wife, the former Viola Oman, started farming on a rented farm. Then they purchased a farm in the Crocus district from Hugh McPherson in 1938 1/4 S.E. 3-17-17, at that time the Crocus flag station and loading platform where some farmers loaded and shipped carloads of grain.

Mr. Weiman had the post office. Due to difficult times, I worked for Harper Construction for a number of years.

We were blessed with two sons, Albert and Kenneth. Kenneth died in 1964.

In 1952, Albert took over farming that 1/4 section and